1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Litter for kitten

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Questions? Need Savannah Cat Advice?' started by Laura W, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Laura W

Laura W Savannah Super Cat

What would you recommend litter wise for a 6 week old kitten? Litter is limited where I live and I know that clumping is recommended until at least 8 - 12 weeks. I can get clay, wheat and corn cob locally. At the store they tell me that even though they both have natural clumping qualities, it would be safe and not a risk for him digesting it and causing an obstruction. Not thrilled with clay and the dust it produces since I don't want him breathing it in.

2. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

I think that clumping is NOT recommended? I use wood pellets for all ages and have never had a problem I get a 40lb bag at the feed and tack store for $6.95.

• Like Like x 1
  3. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

There is a litter using newspaper that I have heard people use for kittens that young...it's called yesterday's news.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Laura W

Patti, my typo, I meant NOT recommended, since it can clump in the intestinal tract . Like the price of those wood pellets. We have a feed store here I can check.

5. Laura W

Nothing like that around here. :(

6. Wyldthingz

Wyldthingz Savannah Super Cat

Ask for "pelleted litter" it can come in the form of pine pellets or paper, or recycled paper based pellets. Most feed stores can order what you want so just ask.

7. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

Or ask for horse stall bedding - that is actually what mine is...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kristine

Kristine Moderator

I would use Feline Pine. It is fine for kittens. Avoid the clumping litter with a young kitten.

9. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

I tend to prefer litters that are digestible and plant matter over clay litters...just in case they think to try eating the stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Laura W

The feed store carries ground corn litter. Have to buy 50# but as often as I change kitty boxes, that's ok.