Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Marketing Terms

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
As far as the TICA standard goes to describe the F1s-F3s- it still is significant. For example, our F2s are F2Bs. They are BST, BST and white, and Blue spotted with white. Um- something else I wanted to say, but forgot...
On this I stand partially corrected. Yes TICA does have some definitions / standards. More loose than SBT. But I meant I don't see the "descriptors" addressed.
I agree we all should emphasize "theoretical" in the HP descriptor. Genetics are always a crapshot.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Oops, credited this to the wrong person!

Thanks for posting this Trish!

My brevity sometimes gets me in trouble and diplomacy always seems to bring out the cooler heads.

Last edited:

Trish Allearz

From all perspectives, I think this is a big problem. I feel hand raising is critical to the breed, in that these cats tend to have a unique personality that needs to be developed at a critical kitten stage. This will also help to "prove" domesticity as we endeavor to remove restrictive laws going forward. I can not think of a way to define hand raised, and yet this is so crucial.
And yes, at the moment, it is puffery.

Curious- what does hand raised mean to you?

To me- it means pulling kittens from Momma and bottling/tubing them. I refuse to hand raise a healthy, striving kitten. I do raise kittens underfoot- that means, to me, they are with my family and interacted with constantly. They are not in cages or in a kitty warehouse- for lack of a better term. As gorgeous and well maintained as kitty facility may be- to me, it's can never compare to kittens raised in a household.

My definition of hand raised though may differ from yours :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
I think kitten socialization is crucial, but the human imprinting term pure puffery! I do not believe you have to pull kittens from their moms to have socialized kittens...many of us have very well socialized kittens and they are not pulled from their moms...however, they are raised in our homes and underfoot...is that what hand raised means?

Human Imprint = Puffery Marketing IMO - just sayin'

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I don't understand why a savannah with 51% or higher serval genes is considered a savannah and not a serval. This seems even more incongruous the higher the percentage of serval genes. How can a cat with 62.5% serval genes not be a serval? Doesn't the preponderance of genetic makeup define a species? Explain the biology or science behind it please.

Trish Allearz

I don't understand why a savannah with 51% or higher serval genes is considered a savannah and not a serval. This seems even more incongruous the higher the percentage of serval genes. How can a cat with 62.5% serval genes not be a serval? Doesn't the preponderance of genetic makeup define a species? Explain the biology or science behind it please.
As far as biology goes- I think once a hybrid, always a hybrid. Even a 99% African Serval (if you could get there) would be a Savannah. I could be wrong!

John Popp

Site Supporter

Hey Deb, I can help you out with this one. Without the presence of vermouth it's just vodka or gin. As soon as even a slight mist of vermouth hits the glass it's a Martini. ;)

admin

Paige
Staff member
As far as biology goes- I think once a hybrid, always a hybrid. Even a 99% African Serval (if you could get there) would be a Savannah. I could be wrong!

Trish, you are probably right, but that would be pushing it and I don't think it even possible ;)

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Hand raised, like every other descriptor is subjective. To me it means the kittens were well human socialized in that they were touched, petted, played with humans as soon as possible. That they enjoy human interaction. That they do not hide or avoid humans.
51% serval. Interesting question. Hybrid is a hybrid. But it could be argued the preponderance of genes is what the name should start with, i.e., Serval hybrid. At F2 stage, domestic cat hybrid. We are splashing around in funny water here.:confused: