1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Missing toe nail

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Health' started by MK Anderson, Jul 26, 2012.

1. MK Anderson

MK Anderson Guest

Poor Chloe got stepped on when she was under my daughters feet a couple weeks ago(accident), ouch!! She would not let me touch her paw for a couple weeks, so I just left her alone. I could hear her nails on the hard woods yesterday, so I decided it was time to clip them. I was very startled when I noticed her whole nail was gone, OUCH! My question is will is grow back? My daughter feels so bad now. I have no idea the nail was missing!!!

2. Per Lausund

Per Lausund Moderator Staff Member

I routinely remove nails (using anaesthetic) when they are damaged, and they grow out again with no problems unless there is damage to the growth area at the base of the nail. In all probability you will be trimming the new nail in a couple of months or before. And it is not painful once the initial damage heals. Good luck, and tell your daughter to give the cat a hug and a smile!

• Like Like x 1
  3. MK Anderson

MK Anderson Guest

Thank you, Per! I looked and can see the nail base and looks fine. She held her last night after we realize it was gone. She felt so bad! Chloe did not ever seem like she was in a lot pain. She would not let me look at it, but she was jumping and walking fine. I will keep an eye on it!