Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My 11 month F5 has a bit of a stomach

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hmmm, so you said the vet did 'some tests' but did not specify if she ran a diarrhea PCR? If not I would consider running that. If it is negative then you probably need to start thinking about food allergies or inflammatory bowel disease. Do you know when he was started on solids? Just like with human babies, if you start them too young they can develop GI issues and food allergies.

Elizabeth Brown

Savannah Kitten
Hey P
Hmmm, so you said the vet did 'some tests' but did not specify if she ran a diarrhea PCR? If not I would consider running that. If it is negative then you probably need to start thinking about food allergies or inflammatory bowel disease. Do you know when he was started on solids? Just like with human babies, if you start them too young they can develop GI issues and food allergies.
hey Patti, I have to ask what tests they did; they didn't specify and they put him on antibiotics. He was okay for a while after that then it started again and then more antibiotics. He is a rescue so I don't know what his history is; he still nurses on a blanket sometimes so he was probably started on solid food very early, so you have a very good point. Going to call vet to see what tests they ran. Then I think I'll put him on the Royal canine diet if he is negative for Tritrich, etc.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You would probably know if the vet ran a diarrhea PCR as it costs ~$250 or more.

Have you looked at the ingredients of the Royal Canin Special 33? JMHO but I would rather purchase a high end grain free diet, or raw, and add powdered unflavored psyllium to increase the fiber in his diet.

Elizabeth Brown

Savannah Kitten
You would probably know if the vet ran a diarrhea PCR as it costs ~$250 or more.

Have you looked at the ingredients of the Royal Canin Special 33? JMHO but I would rather purchase a high end grain free diet, or raw, and add powdered unflavored psyllium to increase the fiber in his diet.
Hey Patti, yes they did the whole panel; I remember it being really expensive too and I've noticed that the poo is runny but no mucous or anything unusual in it. Sorry for being gross...
So! It's on to diet. What brands would you recommend? Poor thing has been on a few different things, and I know it's not good to change foods but I just want my baby to healthy.
Thank you all for being so helpful

Elizabeth Brown

Savannah Kitten
My F5 stomach has been thinning out the older he gets but he still has a small gut. I'm hoping though he gets the skinny Savannah look. Does anyone know if this is common for Savannahs, when they are growing they can thin out as they get older?

Thanks!
Hey Mackness! here is some info about the primordial pouch that I got from an older thread on this site:
There have been several explanations of the primordial pouch, all of them feasible and probably true:
The primordial pouch is a multi-functional flap. It provides a little extra protection against kicks, which are common during cat fights as a cat will try and rake with it's rear claws. In wild cats, the ancestors of domesticated felines, this pouch appears to be present to provide extra room in case the animal has the opportunity to eat a large meal and the stomach needs to expand. It's also been said that this stomach pouch allows the cat to bend and expand, allowing for faster running and higher jumping.
I hope this helps! And sorry for taking over the thread; didn't mean to! I'm just Very new to the chat thing.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
What brands would you recommend?
Personally I would probably start by putting him on a diet of plain, boiled chicken for a few days just to settle his stomach. If you want to feed dry you can look at brands such as Orijen, Evo, Acana, or Blue Buffalo Grain Free. Some of the less expensive brands include Nutrisource, Taste of the Wild, or Earthborn. If you want to use canned you can try Wellness, Evo, or Weruva. These are just a few of many high quality foods. As Deborah suggested, you want to look for something that lists proteins as the first 3-4 ingredients.

Elizabeth Brown

Savannah Kitten
Personally I would probably start by putting him on a diet of plain, boiled chicken for a few days just to settle his stomach. If you want to feed dry you can look at brands such as Orijen, Evo, Acana, or Blue Buffalo Grain Free. Some of the less expensive brands include Nutrisource, Taste of the Wild, or Earthborn. If you want to use canned you can try Wellness, Evo, or Weruva. These are just a few of many high quality foods. As Deborah suggested, you want to look for something that lists proteins as the first 3-4 ingredients.
Oh, thank you so very much for your help! I will look into those foods and will give him some boiled chicken in the meantime.
I usually feed my kids wet in the morning and dry in the evening. :) Osiris thanks you as well! :paw:

Elizabeth Brown

Savannah Kitten
Oh, thank you so very much for your help! I will look into those foods and will give him some boiled chicken in the meantime.
I usually feed my kids wet in the morning and dry in the evening. :) Osiris thanks you as well! :paw:

I am happy to report that the Wellness food has been a great success! After just 2 days of giving Osiris the Wellness wet and dry food he is back to normal! No more diarrhea. Yay!!! Thank you again so much for your help.

SeriouslyConcerned

Savannah Kitten
Hi - just wanted to share my experience with Diarrhea - when I first got my cat - she had the runs for a month - I didn't think she was going to make it - the gal we got her from said was ok to feed kitten kibble - after many visits to vet, tons of tests, got new vet and over $1,000 in vet bills - I changed her food and it cleared up in a matter of days - she hasn't had a problem since - I'm not an expert and I'm not a doctor but this is what worked for my savannah kitty - Primal Freeze Dried Nuggets for Cats - won't find at petco or pets mart more of a specialty or smaller owned pet store