Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Naming Your SV

Glamouresque

Savannah Super Cat
My first savannah, I called her Marguerite, after my grand mother. Sometimes I call her Margot.
I don't know why, even if she is not a little delicate flower, it strangly suits her well.

The second and third one already had names, but suits them very nicely. Paragon the light silver, and Little Diva, she is a real Diva.

The last one was named by the breeder first (not on papers yet) as Napoleon. I don't like that name at all, I decided his name was Lancelot, but he was so wild and crazy boy I crossed the name at last minute on the blue sheet and wrote down Baroque instead.

He is extravagant, maybe overelegant (never herd that word before lol). He is colorfull too so picturesque and flamboyant describe him nice too. When I read the synonyms of Baroque, I was sure instantly it was his name.

baroque
Synonyms:
Gothic, arabesque, bizarre, brain-born, busy, chichi, dream-built,
elaborate, elegant, embellished,extravagant, fanciful, fancy-born,
fancy-built, fancy-woven, fancy, fantasque, fantastic, fine, flamboyant,
florid, flowery, freak, freakish, frilly, fussy, gilt, grotesque, high-wrought, labored,
luscious, luxuriant,luxurious, misbegotten, misshapen, monstrous,
moresque, notional, ornamented,ornate, ostentatious, outlandish, overelaborate,
overelegant, overlabored, overworked, overwrought,picturesque, preposterous,
pretty-pretty, rich, rococo, scrolled, teratogenic, teratoid, whimsical, wild

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I like having stories behind the names, reasons they have the name they do. Most of mine have African names, I go through African naming dictionaries and websites looking for names that sound nice, AND have meanings that speak to me. Some are just perfect for one of my babies, Jumoke meant "everyone loves the child" for example and he was the kitten that nobody in the house could resist. Monkey came from Amonke, which means "everyone wants to pet her"...no idea why a human baby would be named that! LOL!

But some of mine have non-African names. Bobo my first SV is named after Bobo Dialasso, the capital of Burkhina Faso. We were looking for a beer-related African name. We named our Beagle puppy (got at the same time) after an Australian beer (I was trying to make my non-dog-loving husband like the dog), Cooper after Cooper's Ale. So wanted an African beer but they seemed to have dull names like Castle Lager... but Bobo Dialasso was a big beer-brewing town in Africa. Hence the name.

Baz comes from Barack. He was a black Savannah kitten born right before election time and out pops a black kitten. My husband says his name is Barack... but being Australian I can't leave it there, Barack became Barry and in Australia Barry would get the nickname Bazza...and Baz.

Babbage's name comes from his birthdate...his litter was born on 11-11-11. My computer geek husband decided that was a very binary birthdate and hence they needed computer-related names. Charles Babbage is credited with creating the world's first computer, Ada Lovelace is credited with programming that first computer...so we had Babbage and Lacey and then Jobs (Steve Jobs).

ScottKelly911

Savannah Super Cat
Hahahah These are great stories! and some great names too! This is really a fun thread. Keep em coming.

BTW, Shelby, it's nice to have you in here. Paige said you're the breeder who sold Ace to David, so thank you! Shelby is currently the leading vote getter for names for my soon to be little buddy. Me and most of my friends are Car guys so when I tell them about how you're related to my cat and with the recent passing of Carroll Shelby, that it's very fitting. Much better than some of the suggestions my friends have given anyway hahahhaa I have a friend that's really into heavy metal bands and it's hilarious, some of his suggestions, Catalica and Metalicat hahha funny, but yeah not doing that, me and this poor kitty have to live with the name forever! lol

But coming up with the name is kind of a fun process, these stories that everyone's telling are awesome!

S

shelby

Hahahah These are great stories! and some great names too! This is really a fun thread. Keep em coming.

BTW, Shelby, it's nice to have you in here. Paige said you're the breeder who sold Ace to David, so thank you! Shelby is currently the leading vote getter for names for my soon to be little buddy. Me and most of my friends are Car guys so when I tell them about how you're related to my cat and with the recent passing of Carroll Shelby, that it's very fitting. Much better than some of the suggestions my friends have given anyway hahahhaa I have a friend that's really into heavy metal bands and it's hilarious, some of his suggestions, Catalica and Metalicat hahha funny, but yeah not doing that, me and this poor kitty have to live with the name forever! lol

But coming up with the name is kind of a fun process, these stories that everyone's telling are awesome!
I am confident that this new baby of yours is going to really love his new home. You are thinking ahead and this is good. With the Savannah...we all try to stay one step ahead of them;>) They are smart little furs and will keep you entertained, keep you on your toes and know exactly how to keep them on your mind;>) I can hardly wait for you to meet your little one and to hear the stories you will be able to share;>)

K

Kronos

We have Solo and Coco as pets already, and a theme going on that there are Os in their names. We played around with Mojo and others, but landing with Kronos as a altered spelling of Chronos. My husband wanted to name him after a god of time or something like that.

DChap

Site Supporter
My late DSH was named Jasmine after the character in Disney's Aladdin since it was my son's favorite movie at the time. Our current dog's name is Allie-dual meaning for us since I bowl and when my son played high school and college baseball he was known for hitting the ball well into the alley on the field. I've had 2 siamese in my life. The first when I was a child was named Pyewacket after the cat in the old movie Bell,Book and Candle. The other was named Ruby after a Jackson Browne song. This is a great thread- bringing back some sweet memories to me :)

S

shelby

LOL...When Rumors litter arrived last year...there were two that I was thinking about keeping. I mentioned this to a friend and she said....you know that both arew going to remain. My response was ...HA, HA.....Well both girls are here;>) HA DERA(Hadera) and HA DIVA (Hadiva) HA, HA:>).