Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Need crash course in FIP

D

DocMac

Thanks all for the info. We have drawn the fluid and sent it to VA Tech for analyss. We have moved the ther cats to isolation and are keeping with our sweet boy in our bedroom so we can cuddle all night. I bleached the litter boxes and sanitize our ands/feet/clothes when we are leaving the room. He was on the pred for the huge belly. The liquid drawn was yucky-looking. They are testing for CBC/diff, feLCv/FIV, He is also taking oral antibiotics Amoxicillin drops. He s NOT from here, but purchased to become our future stud. He's gorgeous and just screamed at me to "PICK ME!!" /so I did. No worms, so full of snuggles and love. Do you think he got it here or at his birth cattery. No one else ere is sick and 14-17 years old, except Djembe (4) and LaLa (4).

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks all for the info. We have drawn the fluid and sent it to VA Tech for analyss. We have moved the ther cats to isolation and are keeping with our sweet boy in our bedroom so we can cuddle all night. I bleached the litter boxes and sanitize our ands/feet/clothes when we are leaving the room. He was on the pred for the huge belly. The liquid drawn was yucky-looking. They are testing for CBC/diff, feLCv/FIV, He is also taking oral antibiotics Amoxicillin drops. He s NOT from here, but purchased to become our future stud. He's gorgeous and just screamed at me to "PICK ME!!" /so I did. No worms, so full of snuggles and love. Do you think he got it here or at his birth cattery. No one else ere is sick and 14-17 years old, except Djembe (4) and LaLa (4).

Since FIP is a mutation of the corona virus, for some reason, it has mutated, if that is what your kitten has.

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats

LONG REPLY...

Good Morning Johanna,

I am so sorry you are going through this. Having dealt with both the wet and dry form of this disease over the years I understand your heart break and feeling of being helpless as you watch the disease progress. It rips you up and the best you can do is confirm as best you can that it is FIP and then give your boy the best quality of life for the time he has. Please don't wait too long... you will know when it is beyond comfortable or humane to keep them alive.

That said, here is the experience & information I can share with you. I am not an expert, just sharing my theories, and personal experience. First, I think the number are something like 85% of all shelter cats and cattery cats have been exposed to and carry the benign corona virus. He could have come home with it, he could have picked it up at your place. Unless you test and titer all your cats you can't possibly know and really it doesn't matter. 90% of cats exposed never develop FIP so people don't even realize their cats have been exposed until the worst happens and the virus mutates.

I do have a theory that certain lines are more susceptible than others. 3 of the cases of FIP I have dealt with were from the same foundation line - heavy on the Oriental Shorthair side. 2 had wet FIP and 1 had the dry form. They were related a few generations back, but of different generations and different litters over the course of 3 years. While I don't openly discuss which cats in particular it seems too much a coincidence to me so I am very cautious with subsequent generations. There are many, many cats out there with this particular line in the pedigree, so maybe it's just a black cloud over me. Problem is, discussing FIP is taboo and carries a very negative stigma so breeders don't talk and very few will admit they have had any cases of it. Makes it really difficult to gather data on cases.

I also believe stress plays a big role. The 2 cats noted above that developed wet FIP were diagnosed just a month or so after being shown. I don't think they picked anything up at the show, but do feel that the stress of the show hall was a factor in the mutation of the virus.

Please go here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/CatHealthNewsFromTheWinnFelineFoundation
There is a very basic explanation and a new treatment announced that sounds quite promising.

WET FIP - this sounds like what your boy has. My first experience with FIP was also the wet from about 5 years ago. It was an F3 kitten that I got from another breeder. She was a black smoke and probably left the biggest hole in my heart of any cat we have lost over the years. She always had a big belly, even in kitten pics and although I don't know if this was indicative of things to come, we had her for 3 months before I took her to the vet for the last time. Think of the effects of FIP as an auto-immune response where the virus infiltrates cells so the body tries to destroy those cells, in effect destroying itself in the process. Hemolysis of both red and white cells increase fluid in the abdominal cavity and also cause the increase in proteins and hemoglobin in serum as well as anemia. The fluid will build up until it depresses other organ functions. Once the wet form starts, they really don't have much time and all you can do is try your best to make them comfortable, and give yourself time to come to terms with it. Maybe a month.

DRY FIP - In the one case that we had, it was also a kitten I got from another breeder. Where she got it really doesn't matter cause she was in the house with 5 other cats, all of whom are still here and perfectly healthy. This form was first noticed due to obvious weight loss and what appeared as neurological issues. Despite the girl eating on her own and me force feeding her baby food and tuna.. anything I could get in her, she continued to lose weight. Her motor functions also became progressively worse as the disease progressed. She got to the point where she would just fall over, could not coordinate walking or even sitting upright. This is due to lesions that form in the brain. I finally took her in to let her go after 2 - 3 months of a losing battle. Personally I think the dry form is much harder and cruel. It drags on and you try to fight along side the cat against the disease and just watch them waste away despite anything you can do for them.

I hope this helps in some way. It won't save your boy, but maybe help you understand what is happening inside his body. Please know that you are NOT alone in dealing with this horrible disease. It is no one's fault although I do treat it as a genetic defect and expect replacements for the cats I've lost to it within the first year. I have also replaced one kitten that was lost to FIP within the first year. If you want/need to talk to someone I would be happy to lend an ear or a shoulder. This shit is hard, and breaks your heart. I am so very sorry.

Lori

D

DocMac

How long have you had him? And have you discussed with his breeder?
:cat:
We've had him about 2 months. I called the breeder and he's very concerned and seems like a good guy. How long is the incubation period?

Per Lausund

Staff member
Incubation period in FIP is very difficult to establish, because of the disease mechanism (or the assumed one): A fairly benign enteric virus colonizes the gut, and it, because of something or other, starts mutating and causing severe disease. It obviously takes some time, but whether weeks or months is anybody´s guess. I´ve included a quote from the Merck Vet manual, well worth reading:

Cats of all ages and either sex can develop the disease, but incidence is highest in cats 6-24 mo old, decreased in cats 5-13 yr old, and increased in those 14-15 yr old. Kittens raised in infected colonies may contract the virus from their mothers or asymptomatic carriers when their maternal immunity wanes at 5-10 wk of age. These kittens typically may develop FIP weeks or months after they are placed in new homes. The prevalence of clinical FIP is <1% of cat-containing households, even though 20-35% of cats are infected with coronavirus. Losses are often sporadic and unpredictable, and morbidity and mortality may be greatly increased, sometimes up to 35% or more in some breeding catteries and households with multiple cats. Generally, the morbidity rate in cattery-bred kittens is 10%. The prevalence of FIPV infection in the general cat population is difficult to determine because current serologic tests for detecting FIPV antibodies cannot discriminate between FIPV and other feline coronaviruses that do not produce disease and that may be more prevalent.

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
We've had him about 2 months. I called the breeder and he's very concerned and seems like a good guy. How long is the incubation period?

I'm also a bit concerned about fertility at 9%... unless you have a back up male, you might want to rethink getting a kitten a replacement that has a more traditional pedigree...

Per Lausund

Staff member
Vet suspects our new SBT kitten, 4 mo. Old with FIP. His belly is swollen, he's been on prednisolone for a week. He's home, eating, purring, drinking, not playing.
I´m a little slow today (as well), so I didn´t quite catch the prednisolone bit: has he been on prednisolone for more than a week? If it is a virus, that is definitely NOT going to help.
P

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
I hate to worry you but purring is NOT an indication that everything is okay. Although kitties purr when contented, they ALSO purr when in pain :-( Or stressed and needing reassurance. Not wanting to play is

FIP is called the Purring disease. I had only one experience with a cat with FIP which I owned. He did purr until the very end. I don't know if they are in pain but they definitely don't feel well.

It is one of those disease that I have always feared since working with the few FIP cats at the vet. I don't wish is on any one. It is a heartbreak.

D

DocMac

He was on the pred for nine days before we stopped it. Still no labwork back, but maybe tomorrow. We're leaving the TV on when we're nt holding him because he lives to sleep on the cable bx.