1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Panacur

Discussion in 'Vet's Corner' started by Paul B, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Paul B

Paul B Sorte

So, I just wanted to find out if Panacur can cause diarrhea? Sorte just started a round of Panacur paste from the vet. Up until today, he has had soft cowpie stool with no leaking around the house. I gave him his first dose today and now he is back to multiple runny stool sessions with small spots of blood along with large leaky spots once again around the house. :( His vet is on vacation until sometime next week.

2. xumi's mom

xumi's mom Susan

Fenbendazole (Panacur) can cause diarrhea. The bloody spots might be a concern - although it could be just that the poor guy's system is irritated. Can you tell if the blood is fresh (red or pink) as opposed to darker spots? Any worms visible in the mess?

3. Paul B

Paul B Sorte

It is pink/red blood and very small spots. There have never been any visible worms in his stool at all. The vet gave it to me as a "just in case" dose. He was diagnosed with coccidia and giardia a couple weeks ago and has finished both rounds of medicine for those.

4. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Paul, until Per answers...I would just stop the Panacur...JMO.

5. Paul B

Paul B Sorte

That's what I was thinking. I don't want to give him something he doesn't need... Especially if it's going to cause him (and I) more trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  6. xumi's mom

xumi's mom Susan

Agreed, that would be conservative. And sorry Per, I replied to this thread without realizing what sub-forum it was in!

• Like Like x 2
  7. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Susan, it is no problem...Per won't mind ;) Glad you responded.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Paul B

Paul B Sorte

I didn't realize this was a thread where only Per is supposed to answer. I was hoping for a free for all answer. Lol

9. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

It's fine, Paul. Per is a very busy vet and travels quite often...others always chime in here.

10. Paul B

Paul B Sorte

Oh ok. That's why I was hoping for the free for all answers. I know he's very busy.