Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Pica in cats?

Hello All,

Does anyone have experience with pica (eating non-food objects) in Savannah cats? We have a cat just a little over a year old who is obsessed with trying to eat non-food objects, especially fabric/clothing.

It's becoming a major problem that we haven't been able to stop or find solutions for and has resulted in some major emergency vet bills. Any help, resources, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and on a general note we have removed non-food objects to the best of our ability, we make sure he gets significant exercise every day and nothing has turned up in blood tests which might indicate dietary or other issues.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Most sources cite the same treatments which may or may not help the condition http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/unusual-cat-cravings

One thing I didn't see mentioned is the use of Prozac or similar drug if the pica appears to be caused by a stressed cat. You may want to talk to your vet about trying it as a short term solution to see if it eases the problem.

As well, speak to your vet about animal behaviorists that are in your area who may be able to offer techniques/training to break the habit.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think Witchy's advice is good, if you can determine that the pica is caused by stress then working on reducing the stress (by medication or other routes) is a good tactic. I don't know much about pica but I know that it happens in all cats, it's not so much a Savannah thing although it does seem that F1s can be a little inappropriate with chewing things.

I hope you can adapt and keep your SV safe. Our beagle had special food obsessions (yes, even more than the average beagle) which trained us to be super-careful with his needs. Keeping him alive through a number of stomach pumpings and two stomach surgeries was traumatic. Nobody expected him to make old age but he's 15 now!

MM3

Site Supporter
Hello All,

Does anyone have experience with pica (eating non-food objects) in Savannah cats? We have a cat just a little over a year old who is obsessed with trying to eat non-food objects, especially fabric/clothing.

It's becoming a major problem that we haven't been able to stop or find solutions for and has resulted in some major emergency vet bills. Any help, resources, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and on a general note we have removed non-food objects to the best of our ability, we make sure he gets significant exercise every day and nothing has turned up in blood tests which might indicate dietary or other issues.
My kitty has pica. It's a worry for me 24/7. She was eating her litter, I didn't know it. She calls me to go to the lu with her. When I saw her poo and it looked just like the litter. I freaked out. She was eating ALOT Of it. Which I was not a witness to. I contacted the maker of the litter and asked why a warning was not on the packaging. Don't remember the excuse, they all seem to have one. I tried an another litter and again she was eating it. Then I tried sand and she also started eating the sand. I was told sometimes they out grow pica. She will be 3 next month and she has not out grown it. We have to be so extra careful about everything.So I had to go to dirt....plain dirt. She did eat a tiny amount of dirt but not much. She didn't like it. So we stuck with that for over a year. Now we mix dirt with her litter( smart cat) more dirt than smart cat.
I'm human and make mistakes for the life of me I don't know where she found the 3 ft string that she swallowed except for the 3 inches that were hanging out of her mouth. She woke me up in the middle of the night and came up so close to my face the wet string layed on my face. It took me a second or two to focus on what was right in front of me. I quickly grabbed the piece of string hanging outside her mouth and started pulling and pulling and pulling and pulling in disbelief. If she hadn't come to me to help her she would of needed surgery or she wouldn't of made it. I'm still amazed that she was smart enough to know to wake me up. I am in constant worry, that she''ll find something.
Like right now... Her eating during the past few days is getting less and less. Her fecal floatation results will be back tomorrow morning depending on that will tell us if she needs an X-ray.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh, I hope your kitty is ok, MM3! Let us know how she is...it's so worrisome if you think she's eaten something.

It's definitely hard to monitor when they are determined to find things. I had a friend with a red tabby boy with pica, she was amazing in her habits of picking up things all the time... it got so she'd do it at other people's homes as well as her own!

MM3

Site Supporter
T
Oh, I hope your kitty is ok, MM3! Let us know how she is...it's so worrisome if you think she's eaten something.

It's definitely hard to monitor when they are determined to find things. I had a friend with a red tabby boy with pica, she was amazing in her habits of picking up things all the time... it got so she'd do it at other people's homes as well as her own!
Thanks for your concern. As luck would be on our side the vet's office had a cancellation. kitty has not lost weight, well hydrated & no temp. Gave her a B12 shot and a steroid shot. Might be a low grade inflammation in her intestions. Since Kitty hasn't eaten much for a few days dr. Was concerned about her pancreas. So they did a blood draw to run blood tests. Tomorrow will have results of fecal flotation and blood work. The steroid shot worked pretty fast. With in one hour kitty was eating, small amount but still eating. Kitty and I will rest comfortable tonight. She's doing so much better.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
That is a relief! It is so much nicer to wait for test results when the cat is already doing a bit better.