Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Picking up Thor tonight but he still has allergies

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I agree with the opinions expressed here. Furthermore, if he is really sick and you take him home - you will fall in love with him. That is inevitable. Most of us fall hard for these little furballs and if the contract says return to breeder for a replacement, you simply won't be able to.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Yup, agree with all of the above. If Thor hasn't been tested for upper respiratory illnesses then there's no way that the vet and assume it is allergies - in my experience, respiratory infections are much more common in cats than allergies to pollens. If you bring the kitten home you are agreeing to take on his illness for the life of the kitten, whether it be an infection or an allergy.

If you have chosen to bring him home after all I would definitely recommend he be seen by your own vet within the 72 hour time frame allotted in the contract, and PCR tested for upper respiratory infections - it is expensive but worth the peace of mind if it is negative, and even more worth it if it comes up positive so that you can be proactive in treating Thor. Cats with longstanding upper respiratory illness can develop chronic sinus problems which can then become very difficult to treat.

Riddick

Savannah Super Cat
Hi, we just picked up our F2 this past Saturday and was told she had a minor cold about a week ago. The breeder took her to the vet and put her on antibiotics for a week. Her last pill was the day we got her and she still is sneezing, minor cough, and acts like she needs to hock something up. Should we take her to the vet or be worried?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I would check in with the vet... did the breeder think the kitten was completely over the "cold" then? Personally, I'd have wanted to keep the kitten for at least a week after the antibiotics finished to make sure the kitten was well.

You might even want to consider having a Respiratory Panel PCR done as antibiotics are not really going to do anything if it is a virus the kitten has. And if something like Mycoplasma the kitten will need a specific antibiotic and for longer than a week.

Additionally, doesn't your health guarantee of your contract say you need to take the kitten to the vet within 72 hours?

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
If the kitten is still sick also notify the breeder ASAP. I had one of my first litters have URI, it can lasts weeks to a month, and with the stress of rehoming can get even worse.