Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Proper House Size for Savannah Cat: F2–F4

Hi there!

I'm new to the forums, so forgive me if this has been answered before (though I've searched and can't find a particular answer). :)

I'm planning on getting a Savannah in the F2–F4 generation within the next eight months to a year to allow me a good time to research, think it over, "kitten-proof" and cat-ready my home, etc. The problem here is, I live in a city condo. I've heard varying responses that 950+ sq ft. is proper, to it doesn't really matter the size, just have lots of vertical space. The condo I live in 872 sq. ft, but with massive amounts of vertical space (think high ceilings with skylights, two floors with a kind of balcony overlook, etc.).

So I wanted to get a more experienced owner's opinion. What are you thoughts and recommendations? Is the required square footage different per generation? I don't mind waiting a couple more years until I buy a larger home if that needs to be the case. I'd rather do it right the first time than not give my pet a proper home!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that it matters more how that space is arranged, paying attention to things like "vertical space" for example (and not just the high ceilings, but shelving to access that space). There are many ideas on the internet and many not very expensive to catify your space and I believe that can make all the difference...as well as your ability to spend a reasonable amount of time each day for vigorous play sessions. Savannahs are not cats you can work long hours, and then come home to crash immediately. They will be sitting there waiting for their playmate human to come home and will need interaction.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Your home sounds fine for a Savannah of any generation. You might want to shelves for the walls, floor to ceiling poles, and other items that can provide access to your vertical space for your new kitty. Search 'catwalk' from the forum's home page (the search box is on the upper right hand corner) and you should see lots of ideas come up.

Thanks, Brigitte and Patti! That's a relief to know! I like the idea of having an active cat for vigorous playtime sessions! I live alone and am a triathlete, so I like the idea of having a cat in need of active stimulation as much as I am. :) I have definitely thought of the idea of a catwalk/shelves, which is why I want a good amount of time to set my house up. I am not a first time cat owner, but I would be a first time Savannah owner, so I am trying to do all my research first instead of rushing in headlong. Thank you so much for your advice, and I will definitely keep looking up more tips on how to utilize all my space!