1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Public Service Announcement -- Those Hellish Hair Balls

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Health' started by Deborah, May 1, 2012.

1. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

Most of us don't care that the technical name for a hair ball is trichobezoar when we're cleaning up that slimy, cold wad of goo from the many places our cats deposit them.

A study from the University of Wisconsin-Madison revealed that hair balls consist of indigestible protein made up of 15 to 30 percent fat. Digestive enzymes inadequately penetrate the coating on hairballs which prevents their passage out the hind end of the cat in favor of the front end precipitated by awful retching, gagging, hakHAK ackAAAAck sounds.

Most over-the-counter hair ball remedies grease the intestinal tract in an effort to get the hair ball to pass through and be deposited by the favored hind end.

Adding a small amount of fiber to your cat's diet, in addition to lecithin from egg yolks helps dissolve those nasty hunks of hair and helps to prevent their formation. Add a little pumpkin a few days a week and a raw egg yolk (no egg white) once a week to their food to help keep your carpets, shoes, and bedspreads clean and your cats from getting clogged :paw:

• Like Like x 5
  2. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Zuri and Taj love raw egg yolks...so I will continue to give to them...what type of fiber do you suggest?

3. WitchyWoman

Pumpkin seems to be the most readily accepted by cats but adding a small amount of veggies to food will do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Ok - thanks Deborah!

5. Trish Allearz

Trish Allearz Moderator

Delicious topic... Um... Ech.

ROFLMAO. We don't get too many around here- thankfully!

6. WitchyWoman

One cold morning this past winter as I dragged myself out of bed to feed the ingrates, I put on a slipper that contained a cold slimy surprise. Blech and double blech. My slipper...I'm sure it was deliberate.

• Like Like x 2
  7. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

IO rarely see them either, Trish! But deborah just makes me laugh :roflmao:

8. Kronos

Kronos Guest

Kronos has never hacked one up, yet... Solo has a couple of times and was doing it more so when I had him on a different food. Blue Buffalo Wilderness has really been great for his hairball control. Must have the right amount of protein and fiber!

9. Marissa

Marissa Savannah Super Cat

ah I did that about a week ago, but it was more like middle of the night stepped in gross ness, hobbled to the bathroom, only to hit another spot with the other foot, slip fall and sit there feeling a tad bit sorry for myself lol.

10. WitchyWoman

Ewwwwwwww, you had every reason to pout. Stepping on those things is in the top 10 of grossest cat surprises. I would have indulged in some quality chocolate to make myself feel better. That and vodka tonics are my "go to" stress relievers.

• Like Like x 1