1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Random Ruminations on Savannah Ownership

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat - General Discussion' started by Deborah, Jun 12, 2012.

1. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

and by ownership, I mean SVs owning us;)

We always talk about how our SVs are social and engaged with us, sort of like second shadows. I remember my husband's and my training period when we got our first SV. How we had to learn to always watch where we were walking, never close a door or appliance without checking first for a cat. There were so many things we had to change in our routines and our lives. But it became second nature after a few months. Today it all came back to me. The cats are outside on the patio and I was like a little kid skipping around the house and was able to:

pack for a trip without hauling cats out of the suitcase and without the howling zoomies that happen when they know I'm going away;
    empty the dishwasher unsupervised and I even left some of the cabinets open while I was doing it;
    enter the pantry without having to get on hands & knees to drag a cat out from under lower shelves or pull the ladder out to fetch them from higher shelves;
    luxury of all luxuries -- left the toilet paper conveniently within reach all afternoon;
    ate lunch without a cat on my head, one on the plate & one in my lap;
    enter any room or closet and not have to wrestle with a cat to keep him out

It is the little things in life that bring us pleasure. My freedom will end soon. Their little faces are plastered to the door. It's an hour before dinner and they want to be sure I don't forget to feed them.

• Like Like x 8
  2. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

How true it is ;) I thought about the same thing yesterday when taj and Zuri were out in the enclosure and I was able to vacuum without them chasing the vacuum, make the bed without them diving in it and trying to catch the sheets and chasing imaginary playthings, open the closet door and not have a savannah cat try to run in or run in and refuse to come out ;)

But then I missed them and let them in :roflmao:

• Like Like x 5
  3. Anne

Anne Savannah Super Cat

laugh, unfortunately my day started by having to search for the muffin that I put in a sandwich bag to take to work .... turned my back, and some little fuzzy man stole it (again)! Turned out he was just making sure I didn't leave with out it because I found it in my shoe :) didn't look much like a banana muffin any more, grin.

• Like Like x 10
  4. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Hahaha, Anne - now that really made me laugh!

5. Anne

Anne Savannah Super Cat

You probably didn't laugh as hard as my co-workers did this morning when they seen it on my desk - and I tried to explain what happened ....

• Like Like x 4
  6. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

LOL. What a thoughtful kitty making sure you didn't forget your muffin.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ashley

Ashley Savannah Super Cat

lol So true! Unless Kovu is in plain sight before I leave the house I have to do a sweep of all the rooms, make sure all the upstairs doors are shut & cat free. lol

• Like Like x 4
  8. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

It's funny how trained they have us, I am the same as you Deborah and could empathize with each of your tasks and how amazing it would be to not be pulling cats out of whatever I was trying to do :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Breheart

Breheart Guest

Those small luxuries are amazing, we all would do anything for our cats so I am sure it feels weird being able to move freely without accomodating to them lol. I have made some major adjustments as well in how I walk to avoid accidentally kicking a cat who may be weaving between my legs/feet.. My sleeping and sitting positions have changed as well to make room for Keljin to sleep where he wants to lol.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

I now don't sleep well at all if there are no cats...anytime we are traveling and staying in a hotel room it feels so very weird to have no cats come bedtime :-(

• Like Like x 4