1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Recipes for Home Made Raw Food

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Diet/Raw Food Diet' started by Deborah, Apr 30, 2012.

1. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

This is the spot to highlight your culinary skills and share recipes for those who are novices to raw feeding and don't know how to begin.

• Like Like x 2
  2. WitchyWoman

Chicken Mix, Vegetables Safe for Cats, Chicken Broth

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  3. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Deborah, this is really fantastic!!! I will add my rabbit recipe when I am not so exhausted...thank you for sharing this...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Marissa

Marissa Savannah Super Cat

Out of curiosity, why does the egg white need to be cooked? Is it bacteria related?

5. WitchyWoman

Egg whites contain avidin which binds to the biotin (B-complex vitamin) in the yolk and prevents absorption of the biotin which can cause vitamin deficiency. If you don't feed eggs very often, it's ok to occasionally give a whole egg. But if you feed eggs regularly or include them in home made food, it's best to lightly poach or cook the whites.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Marissa

Marissa Savannah Super Cat

gotcha! Thanks :)

7. J.B.

J.B. Savannah Super Cat

I used the recipe on this site: http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-it-yourselfers
    It is quite comparable to many others i have seen, and i gave it a try today. Titus loved it! I was able to source the chicken hearts at a Vietnamese market, so if others want to try I would suggest looking at some ethnic markets to see if they have it.

Also before i invested in a super nice grinder i just got a $20 hand crank one to try it out. I chopped the bone it the thigh a few times with a cleaver and i had no problems cranking and grinding it up! I would not recommend for those making a ton of cat food, but i made about 7 lbs worth and it was pretty quick and easy. Plus i only have one cat ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

YAy, J.B. Great job!!! I have used that recipe as well...

9. J.B.

J.B. Savannah Super Cat

Did your cats like it? It was a little soupy for my personal liking, so i might experiment with the way of grinding and add more chunks

10. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

They did, but since they no longer eat chicken, I do my own thing for rabbit...add olive oil, seacure, egg yolks, kelp and taurine.

• Like Like x 1