Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Retained testicles

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
I brought Zoen, my 4 month old kitten, in for his rabies shot and exam a few days ago. I had to schedule a neuter appointment also. The vet told me she didn't feel anything down there and told me he has retained testicles (cryptorchidism). I notified my breeder Karen, and she told me to get a second opinion from another vet on this before I let this new vet put a big incision in is abdomen and start poking around in there possibly unnecessarily....So I have an appointment next week. She told me he had descended testicles when her vet saw him before I got him. She says she is a bit skeptical about Zoen having undescended testicles and a second opinion would be good. She said she will ask some other breeders if they have ever had a kitten that had descended testicles at 9-10 weeks have them disappear back into the abdomen and let me know. Any of you breeders have seen this? I'm worried about little Zoen. :(

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
If his peas have reappeared in their pods, then perhaps the retraction was due to being cold or excited. I've read that it can happen under those circumstances but it is anecdotal.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, I've heard of this before, my vet says that the testicles can somewhat go up and down while the kitten grows. Some vets can manipulate them down into the testicular sac when they are a little "up" and still be able to neuter simply. But you should wait on the neuter, sometimes it can take up to 7 months for the testicles to drop again. It would seem preferable to wait than do a more invasive surgery.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
I recently had a boy that had 2 testicles on 2 different visits with my vet. (At 9 weeks old and 12 weeks old). He went to his new home around 14 weeks and they weren't checked right away. But a few weeks later and 2 visits at different clinics with numerous people checking at each clinic he has one missing and one extremely small and not in the scrotum. At 5 1/2 months we neutered him and he had one inguinal testicle and one found in the abdomen. How my vet thinks she found them in the first place I have no idea. But I tend to think they can't possibly have ever been located in the scrotum.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
I'll see what this 2nd opinion animal hospital says next week January 19th. If they are still missing, I'll probably for sure cancel the neuter that is for January 24th for awhile and wait a few more weeks and have him checked again. I want him to have a normal neuter hopefully. I don't want to wait to long though..... Does anyone know when male kittens start spraying?

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, I've heard of this before, my vet says that the testicles can somewhat go up and down while the kitten grows. Some vets can manipulate them down into the testicular sac when they are a little "up" and still be able to neuter simply. But you should wait on the neuter, sometimes it can take up to 7 months for the testicles to drop again. It would seem preferable to wait than do a more invasive surgery.
I think it's best to wait awhile more also, than have some invasive surgery....I just hope the wait works.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Males can start spraying at five months of age, but I have an eight month old who still hasn't started, so it varies. I agree that in this case waiting would be best, but understand that you don't want him to start spraying. Typically you will see other signs of 'maturity' before he actually starts to spray, such as restlessness, a sudden interest in trying to get outside, frequent calling or howling. If his behavior starts to change then watch for the spraying to come next.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's a difficult balance. You want to give him time to allow the testicles to drop naturally but you also want to avoid spraying. Just know that if he's only just started spraying and is neutered, every likelihood will be that it be resolved with the neuter.

Most studs I have neutered that were terrible sprayers resolved within weeks of neuter, so it is unlikely that your kitten if he sprays once or twice waiting for his neuter will become a recalcitrant spray monster.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the helpful info on this issue everyone...it is appreciated.:) I know I don't want him to start spraying in my home, so I better not take the chance after 5 months for sure. He will be 5 months old February 9th. I'll have to see what this other animal hospital says the 19th next week and hope for the best.