Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah and a Bengal relationship

Hi! I have a year old Savannah male (Raeden) and a year old Bengal female (Stella) - the relationship between them is crazy- he’s very jumpy, gets scared easily, 1/2 the time I swear she’s beating him up, and she’s smaller- but then he seems to get fed up and growl or give her a look with his ears pointed back and she immediately retreats (reminds me of my PitBull and Yorkie’s relationship) she won’t go near his food and keeps some boundaries in that sense, including I believe her staying away from me. He’s very much claimed me as his, I have 5 kids and she’s great with everyone here, but she never snuggles with me or really wants me petting her, but Raeden follows me like a dog, anytime I lay in bed he lays ON me, and loves looking for my hand and snuggling up to it. (Always has to be on his terms though - lol) He’s my love. I’m just curious if anyone else has experienced this kind of behavior and relationship. Thanks!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I have a jumpy scaredy F6 who I had to put on Prozac because he is also aggressive about territory and would beat the stuffins out of one of his brothers every time a cat from the neighborhood came around the house. He and my F1 don't like one of my F2s so they always have to be separated. I am the #1 person of all 4 of my SVs. They like my husband but are always competing among themselves for my attention and play time. They each have their own quirks which always makes life interesting and sometimes makes it very difficult.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that those sound more like differences in individual personalities than related to their different breeds... and yes, she likely IS beating him up, size rarely means dominance in most animals. Small dogs will be feistier than huge ones for example. My smallest F5 girl is the queen of the household and it makes me giggle a little when she chases my huge F1 about the house (before I go rescue of course).

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It is not uncommon for there to be a pecking order or hierarchy amongst cats. My personal opinion, let them work it out - as long as they both have humans they can bond to, and plenty of room to stay out of each others way when they need to, then they should be fine. However, if by chance the behavior escalates, you might need to consider keeping them separated unless under direct supervision.

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
We have the same problem. Zuri, F2 estimated about 30 lbs, is just starting NutriCalm and we will be contacting Marilyn Krieger. Our 9lb Bengal rules over all the furkids in the house. I agree it isn't a breed distinction, more a personality. It can be frustrating trying to figure it out.