Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

savannah cat adult size??

Glamouresque

Savannah Super Cat
Philomène is 5 pounds and Marguerite (her twin sister) almost 10 pounds. So cute contrast together. Just in love with my cats !!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The weirdest question I ever heard about her during a walk. "Is it a real cat or another kind of animal?"
Just want to answer "It's a fish lol" But I am nice and happy to tell them about OS.
I get that question when walking a Savannah... "is that a cat?" and I generally say "No, it's a dog" when in a less patient mood. I understand that my cats look different (that's the whole point of creating our breed) but I think they still look feline, LOL!

Glamouresque

Savannah Super Cat
Strangly, at the vet my OS have more attentions and questions from custemers than my savannahs. Maybe when savannah get fully grown up ??
My OS stud Slim, I thougt he had lost weight, and he gained some, but compared to my savannahs growing around him so fast, I was sure he lost some weight. He is 7.5 pounds.
Can't resist to add a pic of Slim, he is my boyfriend for now
slim face_lr.jpg

gahnja77

Savannah Super Cat
hmm well gahnja is 15 weeks now and i just sat him on my digital scale and it said 4.4 is he underweight?

Wild Tafari

Savannah Super Cat
We have an F5 stud that is 28 lbs at 2 1/2 years old. (Weighed on scales) And no, he is not fat what-so-ever. He's tall, long and lean. And 100% pure muscle. He's HUGE. Unfortunately, he's yet to prove himself :( though we still hope that one day he will. He's my big baby and loves to lay on his back and have his tummy scratched! :)

Wild Tafari

Savannah Super Cat
That's exactly what our vet says. One of our last F5 kittens we took in for a health certificate was 16 weeks old and 6.3 lbs. He was a BIG boy!

No, he is not underweight...usually the rule of thumb is one pound per month, but every savannah kitten/cat is different.

admin

Paige
Staff member
It needs to be understood that a 28 pound savannah cat is not the norm...and I think that is what gets us into trouble and has people only wanting the "big" savannah cats.

Taj is an F6 SBT and was 6.5 pounds at 4 months...but that is NOT usual...my kittens at 3 months right now range from 4 pounds to 5.5 pounds...Poseidon is now over 5.5 pounds at 3 months, but that is not the norm. He has always been a big boy from the time he was born...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
If I got a dime from every person who has emailed me looking for a "big" cat, just like they saw on Animal Planet, I'd be one rich woman! It does get old. I keep repeating that it is the tall ears, long legs and lean body type of the Savannah that makes them appear larger than most cats, though there is the occasional (usually male) Savannah that gets the "giant" genes. I think the normal weight gain is a pound per month. That said, I recently sold an F4B male kitten, now 5.5 months old, that weighed 9 pounds at the vets last week...when he left for his new home at 3.5 months, he was 7 pounds, and was the size of most of my adults. I honestly felt bad that he was not a tiny kitten! His parents are 8 and 9 pounds, but tall and lean. My tallest, largest (male) Savannah weighs all of 15 pounds. The rest are anywhere between 8 and 11 pounds.

This is a pic of the F4B boy, Brenny, at 3.5 months old, when his new dad met him for the first time:

Attachments

• DSCF5589.jpg
    DSCF5589.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 85