1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Savannah kittens vs. other spotted breeds

Discussion in 'Purchasing a Savannah Cat' started by Presley777, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Presley777

Presley777 Savannah Teenager

I'm just curious if there are features of a savannah that differ from other spotted breeds. Every time Presley and I go out everyone compliments him but are confused when I say he's a "savannah". I always get "nice tabby" or "Is that a mau?"

2. Dantes

Dantes Guest

I get all sorts of "Is that a ?" Kronos has a really nice graphic she created showing the features of a serval that a savannah should have. It helps when trying to explain.

3. Presley777

Presley777 Savannah Teenager

Where can I find this graphic?

4. Trish Allearz

Trish Allearz Moderator

Back of the ears- you can point out the ocelli. You an point out the big black nose, the larger then any normal kitty's ears... You can point out the long legs, discuss the Serval heritage, etc.

The thing is- for a lot of normal non-cat folks, Savannah isn't in their vocabulary as of yet- not like Persians or Siamese. Heck, most normal folk don't even know what a Sphynx is! So take it as a moment to educate them- smile and be about your day :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dantes

Dantes Guest

• Like Like x 1
  6. I get that with my female Sofia. Not with our male Sirius. People ask if he is mean or will bite them. Tehehe.. Nope, the kid across the street will bite you before my SV will.. I agree with Trish. Educate them and then go about your day. :)

PS.
    My SV's have their shots. Don''t know about the kid across the street tho.. LOL!

• Like Like x 2
  7. KMcgown

KMcgown Site Supporter

I get 'nice tiger' quite a bit. People think they are unique and, oh, that I am crazy for walking them:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. DocMac

DocMac Guest

The lady at Walmart (I know, but thats all I've got) fabric department is my biggest advertiser. She shows me all the cat prints and tells other customers about my jackets.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nitro

Nitro and his servant, Paul

So far I've heard both Bengal and Egyptian Mau. Then again, I can tell that the people I'm conversing with really don't care, so I quickly correct and move on. Until he gains a couple more inches in length (17.5" chest to rump) and height (12.5" at shoulders), he won't stand out immediately from a normal house cat.

• Like Like x 1