Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Select Exotics?

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Does my Kitten need to be a certain age/size before I put a collar on her?
(Should I be starting a new thread for my questions or continue posting in this one?)

Thanks.
Mike

make sure you get a safety collar so she doesn't get hung up somewhere (Literally)
I put a collar on Elsa that had a small tracking device and it worked well... When ever she would hide, the remote would direct me straight to her and give me proximity readings... However, by the time she was 6 months old, she could get it off faster than I could put it on. She figured out exactly where to put her back paw and off it came... No need to say who won... Everyone know Elsa does not give up on something like that...

Also, Elsa did come from Select Exotics and they were the greatest to deal with. When Elsa ate a Silca pack, one phone call and they were they to help... they are very good people to deal with, and I will certainly being going back to them when I decide to get another Cat!

MadMike3691

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not sure if I am comfortable without a collar. 'Mika' is small and fast so I worry when the door opens that she can sneak out. A collar would at least let people know that she is a pet and not a stray so they would hopefully be more inclined to catch her and contact me. I have seen some stretchy, Velcro collars (Beastie Bands) that seem like they could easily open or pull off in an emergency. I ordered one and it should be here Monday.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I'm not sure if I am comfortable without a collar. 'Mika' is small and fast so I worry when the door opens that she can sneak out. A collar would at least let people know that she is a pet and not a stray so they would hopefully be more inclined to catch her and contact me. I have seen some stretchy, Velcro collars (Beastie Bands) that seem like they could easily open or pull off in an emergency. I ordered one and it should be here Monday.

If Elsa was not so good at taking her collar off and hiding it, she would be wearing it... But the fact is these cats are so smart they can get out of one quicker than you can put it on... It is my choice she wears it... It is her choice to take it off... Guess who WON!... One Guess Only!

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
+1 to no collars and to more photos!!!

PS- I'd quote some Rick James, but I don't believe it's ok to swear on this forum?!? Lol!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Definitely microchip! If she has not been spayed yet, that is the best time to microchip. That is one BIG needle! I would never put a collar on my cats - too much danger of strangling. Look into a harness instead. I had a Himy that managed to hang herself on several occasions. Fortunately she had a harness instead of a collar so she just dangled until she could be rescued.