1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Serval bark?---with video!

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Behavior' started by Pam Flachs, May 28, 2012.

1. Pam Flachs

Pam Flachs Savannah Super Cat

While taking new pics of my eight week old F5 SBT kittens today, some of them will "bark" when the wand toy I use to get their attention is just out of their reach....I'd describe it as a short, high-pitched almost puppy-like bark, as if they are frustrated. So far I have noticed that the kittens who do this are the ones from a certain line...my stud Afrikhan Malaki. My unrelated F7 SBT kittens did not do this bark, and the kittens seem to outgrow it by about 3-4 months old. So far, I've had F4C, F5 SBT and F7A litters bark....has anyone else seen this young kitten behavior? It's actually really cute :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

I think I know what you mean Pam, I had one girl who clearly barked, but I don't know that the trait in her case was hereditary.

3. Pam Flachs

What generation was your barker? ;) I find it very fascinating and adorable....do serval kittens bark as well?

4. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

She is F4. I thought I had a sound clip of it but I can't find it. I don't know whether or not serval kitten bark but I imagine they do since the adults do.

5. Pam Flachs

I have no video or sound of it either, should try and get it....but I can do a pretty good imitation ;)

6. J.B.

J.B. Savannah Super Cat

Titus barked today actually. I also was holding a wand toy just out of his reach and he bark/yipped. It was really adorable, i wish i could have caught it on tape. I was wondering if it was a more serval like trait as well

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jacq

Jacq Savannah Super Cat

Razi barks regularly when he is playing with Nimbus.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marissa

Marissa Savannah Super Cat

My f5 does it in rare occasions, first time I heard it I automatically thought some small dog was in my home

• Like Like x 2
  9. Pam Flachs

Ahhh...more barkers! It does sound like a small dog's yip, doesn't it? I'm glad to hear it doesn't go away with age....I just think it is so unique ;)

10. Kronos

Kronos Guest

Ok who can post a video of this? I've never heard of barking cats before.