Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Stages of life....

l.i.t

Site Supporter
I would suppose kittens/cats go through 'stages' just like children do...

When we first got Lotto (at 11 weeks), he was all cuddles, play, and sleep. As he started to grow a bit, he wanted to always be with the humans, and seemed to need constant play to curb his biting (which worked only about 1/2 the time!). He also was quite the lap cat...using me or my husband as a bed during naps, and sleeping in our legs at night. At about 5 months he no longer napped on us, but became quite curious and lovey. He would follow us around, 'help' with a lot of things (cooking, tying knots in ropes, helping the guy repair our broken printer, folding laundry, making the bed)... Constant rubs, headbutts. He also started REALLY making headway with our other two cats, learning how to moderate his play with them.

Now, at 6 months, he is mostly involved with the other cats, and playing independently. Even when we try to play with him, it is short lived. BUT, he will flop himself over to be rubbed... And actually sit still for about 45 sec to a minute while we preen over him. But otherwise, he is somewhat less lovey, less needy of attention, and... Well... More independent in general.
It's almost like he hit his teenager years where he is becoming 'his own self'.

I don't have kids (except for our kitties)... So it's kind of funny watching him go through all these 'stages'.... I feel like I never missed out!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
My cats seem to go through stages. And yet they all have distinct personalities (ages 6, 3, and 2). One will let you hold them, the brothers don't like to be held. Yet they all are very personable in their own way. The youngest always demands more attention and to be played with. The oldest (F5) will actually play lap cat for a time. The F3 brothers will only walk on you to wake you up, yet they will sleep right next to you. And they alternate sleeping next to their humans every few months. Wierd.
On the other hand, some things they don't seem to grow out of. Like rough play, or knocking things off shelves.
Somewhat related to stages with time, is trying to understand what they are trying to tell you. One brother got locked into a room, and the other cat was alternating between meowing at the door and running down to the kitchen to meow at us. There is a distinct behavior when a chipmunk is spotted outside. They all will let you know to turn on the faucet for a fresh drink of water. (It was fun watching the elder cat teaching the younger cat this skill, both drinking and notifying.) I have never had cats communicate to humans at this level before.
Enjoy the stages, and try to figure what they are trying to tell you!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Some of the changes in mine surprised me. In particular, Juba. Up until age 3 he never met a human or dog he didn't like. Super outgoing & friendly. Then he began to become more choosy about who he liked and when we're out for a walk, he'll try to run from people he's known since he was a kitten. He's become a bit leery of some dogs, especially small ones, but still loves big dog. Never a lap cat as a kitten/young adult, he is now a bona fide lap addict.

Taji was a lap cat as a kitten and very outgoing too. At 2 yrs of age, he became scared of everything & everyone -- I could see the tendency slowly develop as he matured. He was a lap cat as a baby but now prefers intense snuggling & rarely sits on my lap.

Maliik is the biggest surprise of all. From our rocky start together, he's matured into a well-mannered perfect companion. He is sweet as sugar with just enough spice to be interesting. Never does anything wrong -- unlike the other 2. He's so mild mannered that my 8 lb. 18 yr old frail DSH bosses him around.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Mine all mellowed out after about 2 years old. Even Nimbus became much more loving.

D

DocMac

Djembe is now five. He is getting crankier. He doesn't like kittens! He will snarl and pretend bite me when they walk into the room, but never actually makes contact with anyone. Then, when the kittens go somewhere else to Savandalize, he scoots up under my chin to "nurse" and purr. And I hold him really tight and we have our "moment". I dont know what I'd do without him. He is such a healer for me.