Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Stick it out, it's worth it!

teedoxo

Savannah Child
110ff578c975ed419dd718c7e943be8a.jpg

So 2 weeks ago I went and picked up my 1 1/2 yr old Savannah from a "breeder" who had almost 25 cats running free through the house. I consider it more of a rescue.
In the past 2 weeks he's gone through more change then ever before, new home, new people, no other animals around, he's been neutered, litter, toys, water & food all of his own. He started off very stand-offish, hid for 2 days but I'm surprised considering all the drastic changes in such a short period of time he's coming around! He seems to be more into bonding with me then my mom though, Is it normal for this breed to bond with one person above others?
Anyways I was freaking out a bit at first, I did research and understood this breed is pretty high maintenance and requires a lot of special care...but I stuck it out and I'm a proud owner of a beautiful male savannahs now named Meeko.
5a5d8c754a389666db051a71e2833368.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think it's great that your Savannah is coming around, but what is the "special care" they require?I wouldn't think they need special care, but they are on the high energy interactive end of the kitty spectrum so you do need to allow for that. But in terms of food and vet care, it shouldn't be any different than any other cat deserves.

That's a lovely pic of Meeko's face!

In terms of the bonding, it may be that you are interacting differently with the cat and he is responding to that. Your mom may actually be trying too hard, and that puts the cat off. Weirdly they prefer a less enthusiastic welcome... which is why those that don't really like cats always say that when they go to a house the cat always chooses their lap. Generally, that is because that is the person not staring at the cat, and many don't realize that staring at a cat (trying to communicate they love them) is a form of cat aggression. Always trying to pet them can put a cat off too...so your mom may need to scale back her interactions and then try again. If she is the person that feeds him all the time, and the only person that gives treats and play sessions that might change it also, as then she is the bringer of all good things, so if it is important that he responds well to both of you I would suggest trying those changes.

It is not a rescue if you purchased the cat, even if you purchased the cat from a less than stellar breeder. In reality, when people purchase a cat or kitten because they feel sorry for the conditions the animals are kept in, they don't realize that they are supporting that bad breeder and continuing that practice!

teedoxo

Savannah Child
Lots of allergies to medicines, had to have him on other drugs while being fixed and things like that. Also I keep telling my mom the same things. And I did not purchase the cat, I rehomed him. Only money I spent was on new food, litter and toys for him. I am aware if you buy a pet it isn't a rescue.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Allergies would be individual to that cat, not common to the breed though? Your post said that this breed requires special care, I wouldn't think that there is evidence that the Savannah breed has allergy issues, and this forum being used to educate folk it's good to clear up that kind of thing.

The suggestion of specific drugs for anesthesia is actually across the board of all cats really. My vet does not use ketamine on any cat for example. There are better anesthetics, and inhalable anesthetics are easily reversed while an overdose of ketamine cannot be reversed. Now, Savannahs can be lean cats and overdoses of ketamine thus easier to happen, but I wouldn't risk ketamine on any of my cats no matter the breed. There's Oriental Shorthair breeders that would say the same, any number of breeders of other breeds that think Ketamine a dangerous anesthetic.

Some breeders advocate only killed vaccines, yet other breeders use modified live vaccines without issue. And you will see that in other breeds also. IMHO there isn't any difference between Savannahs and other cat breeds. Realistically, by the time our Savannahs are F4 or further they are 90 or more percent domestic cat in heritage. Most of the things advocated for our breed are the same as any other careful breeder of another breed would say.

teedoxo

Savannah Child
I've been talking to a woman that works at a savannah/serval veterinary clinic. I'm just going based on what I've learned from her so far. I think you're taking me saying "special care" out of context. Or maybe I should've worded it differently. I just meant with meds, they're more interactive, usually require more toys and things to climb, more of a raw diet, I find mine is very different then any other breed of cat I've ever had, however not to say they are completely different

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Wow, there's a Savannah/Serval veterinary clinic? Where is that? I've not heard of a breed-specific vet clinic so it would be good to share details of such a thing, please!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
My British Shorthair kitten came to me raised on a completely raw diet from his veterinarian breeder, hence to me a raw diet is just a good healthy diet...

teedoxo

Savannah Child
Wow, there's a Savannah/Serval veterinary clinic? Where is that? I've not heard of a breed-specific vet clinic so it would be good to share details of such a thing, please!
California somewhere. I'm a part of a savannah group on Facebook and I started talking to her there.

teedoxo

Savannah Child
My British Shorthair kitten came to me raised on a completely raw diet from his veterinarian breeder, hence to me a raw diet is just a good healthy diet...
The breeder I got mine from feeds all her cats Iams dry food and no name Walmart wet food... I wasn't impressed so I've switched his diet.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
California somewhere. I'm a part of a savannah group on Facebook and I started talking to her there.

I am in California. Please ask your contact where this is as that would be absolutely fabulous to know!