1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Still won't let me touch him

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Questions? Need Savannah Cat Advice?' started by Laura W, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Laura W

Laura W Savannah Super Cat

Echo has really done well considering how he was when he came to live with us, especially since Dolos came to live with us in April. He continues to take chicken from me by hand and continues to growl as he does it. Occasionally, he will put his ears back and show slight aggression. When he does, he doesn't get anymore chicken until he is not showing any aggression.

He is out and about the house more now when we are home and will walk up to me and sniff my hand. We haven't made any further progress in him letting us touch him, he still backs off and runs even if you try to just turn your hand and touch him when he sniffs it. Any suggestions on how to proceed at this point?

2. adamcrssmn

adamcrssmn Guest

As unhelpful as it sounds, just patience and persistance... My female Bengal was all sorts of an emotional basketcase when she came to us, to the point where I had to rip up the attic floor to get her out after she'd been hiding there for a few days.... Just give it time and try and stay positive!!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. adamcrssmn

adamcrssmn Guest

She's now VERY vocal about being involved in EVERYTHING!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Laura W

That's what I keep thinking.........he'll continue to come around. Everyone says the F2's have a very difficult time being rehomed. That's okay, we have nothing but time and it's great to see him with "his" Dolos kitten, he loves her as much as we do. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

I think it also just depends on the individual cat...I don't remember all the story (sorry, I deal with so many cases in Rescue it's hard!) so not sure how very social he was in his previous home. It can depend on how well-socialized the cat was as kitten as to how much progress can be made too... but nothing beats patience and love over time :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. shelby

shelby Guest

I personally would hand feed foods that they aren't so fond of. Chicken is the favorite of most and the one that they go after as though they are starving. It brings out the worst in some cats and I would suggest feeding that one food in a dish and hand feeding some of the others;>)
    www.dreamweavercatz.com

• Like Like x 1
  7. adamcrssmn

adamcrssmn Guest

Very good point... I've never really thought of that before, but now that you mention, Karma, my F2 female goes CRAZY for chicken... King, my F5 male, couldn't care less about it, though... Weird.

8. shelby

shelby Guest

You have to be very careful...even with the youngsters;>) They think if it smells like chicken..it must be chicken. I learned this lesson very early on..the hands and fingers are mistaken for chicken if you don't wash the hands after handling the chicken;>) LOL...A LESSON YOU NEVER FORGET...ONCE A KITTEN CHOPS DOWN;>) I speak from EXPERIENCE;>) lol

9. Laura W

The only things he eats are EVO Kibble which is free feed since Dolos is still a kitten and need to eat through out the day, and sauteed chicken and a small amount of cheese as a treat. He won't touch anything else.

He does walk up to me when called, but very cautious in his manner.

10. shelby

shelby Guest

Try feeding the treats from a small fork for now. This will be a help in teaching him to stop grabbing the food;>)