1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Supplements

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Health' started by admin, Feb 18, 2012.

1. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

does anyone give supplements to their fur babies and if so, what do you give?

2. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

Salmon oil, taurine, Forteflora. I sometimes add Wild Trax Feline Supplement to whole ground meats such as rabbit, pheasant, goose and to their whole prey meals to hedge against degradation of vitamins & minerals due to freezing & thawing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Thanks Deborah! I have a variety, but am going to try Kitty Bloom, I think. I need to give Zuri something but since she eats whole prey it is difficult. She does take some bites of Taj's food, so I will put some in it.

I am hearing that Krill Oil is now being used instead of Salmon Oil. What do you think?

4. MK Anderson

MK Anderson Guest

Krill oil, taurine, Total-Zymes and Total-Biotics.... I put vitiams in ground chicken and then after thawing I add the Krill oil, taurine, total-zymes and total-biotics.

5. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Sounds good MK...I have used Mazuri, TC Feline, and others, but taj no longer eats raw, so I don't need all those raw supplements...neither will eat ground chicken anymore. I want to try rabbit again, but am sick of wasting my money on food they won't eat...how much krill?

6. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

Krill supposedly has a few more beneficial ingredients, mainly antioxidants, than salmon oil and in humans is more easily absorbed. It can also act as a blood thinner in humans which would have implications if surgery is needed. Otherwise the Omega-3 benefits are similar. I don't know if the blood thinning is an issue in cats but would talk to your vet about it if surgery becomes a necessity.

I use salmon oil because I think the krill should be saved for the whales.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MK Anderson

MK Anderson Guest

My cats only like chicken. Once in a while I manage to mix a little turkey in too, but not really crazy for it. I mix my own vitamin capsule in with there food. I was thinking of trying the kitty bloom too, let me know how your gang likes it. Keeba is really picky about vitamin sprinkled on top of his food, so I need to mix it all in and I also get any vitamin that say low odor, lol. I buy the mega red Krill oil at Costco, its I think like 8-9 bucks for 90. I also take them and so do my daughters.

• Like Like x 1
  8. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

OK, will let you know...

9. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Yes, it is always a difficult choice to make...krill vs salmon...

10. Trish Allearz

Trish Allearz Moderator

Kitty bloom. That is the main supplement I have used here.

• Like Like x 1