1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Switching Food

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Questions? Need Savannah Cat Advice?' started by AmyAndSimba, Apr 11, 2012.

1. AmyAndSimba

AmyAndSimba Guest

Simba is coming home in a few weeks!

There is a big sale on the food he will be eating, yay! I am going to stock up now.

Well, my question is if you are getting a new kitten, how long would you wait before making a change in diet? I have heard different breeders mention anywhere from 2-4 weeks. Maybe it would depend on how quickly the kitten adjusts? I would like to switch to a higher quality food sooner than later. Let me know what you guys think.

2. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

For all 3 of mine, I waited about 3 days which was the time it took for them to recover from the flight to my house. I gradually added more raw to their food for a few days and when they started eating the raw and leaving the other stuff, I stopped feeding the other stuff. I never had a problem with diarrhea while they adjusted to the new diet but every cat is different. Sometime poops can be a bit soft for the first week or two on a new diet until their systems adjust.

I think it's a good idea to get cats used to 2 or 3 different foods if you're feeding commercially prepared food. If one is discontinued or ingredients change and the cat stops eating it, there is a backup or two without having to go through the gradual change again. I know people who mix a few different brands together for meals for that reason.

• Like Like x 3
  3. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

I waited about a week and gradually switched over - the operative word is gradual ;) Today I bought Earthborn Holistic canned and a couple of different canned foods to have some backups as Deborah mentioned. Zuri LOVES Earthborn, even though she eats whole prey and Taj sniffed and walked away...

• Like Like x 1