1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Taking the cat for a walk..

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Questions? Need Savannah Cat Advice?' started by melissam87, Apr 19, 2012.

1. melissam87

melissam87 Savannah Super Cat

One more question if you don't mind. For those of you walk your cats on a leash, do you use a long retractable leash? I thought it would be nice to give Nikita a little freedom to run and get some quality exercise.

Thank you. :)

2. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I use retractable leashes...as I find they tend to stop and start a lot...so stop to sniff then bound ahead then stop again.... easiest then to have a retractable leash :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

I use a retractable leash as well...but be careful with it...I almost severed a tendon in my finger recently when I was holding the leash part and Taj took off after a bird...not a smart move on my part.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ashley

Ashley Savannah Super Cat

We haven't yet, but I want to get one. Kovu is still more scared than curious. I cannot wait for it to stop raining so we can take him out more than once a week!

5. Pam Flachs

Pam Flachs Savannah Super Cat

And make sure it's a quality retractable leash, even consider one made for dogs. My local dollar store sells retractable leashes for less than $5.00. Let's just say you get what you pay for.

I've heard of the really cheap ones not retracting at a crucial time, with disastrous results....expect to pay around $30 for a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. melissam87

That is fine. Better safe than sorry. Of course that is separate from the harness. I suppose I should get her a tick and flea collar also. If you have any recommendations I'm all ears...

This should be interesting getting her used to wearing collar and harness. Lol

7. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Instead of tick and flea collar, perhaps use something like Revolution...I honestly don't know anyone who uses Flea and tick collars anymore.

8. melissam87

Lol. See how long it's been since I've owned a pet? II seriously cant stop laughing. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

Yes, flea and tick collars are so last century, LOL! Easier to use a liquid spot on product... within a day you won't know it is there...nor will they!

10. melissam87

Which type of retractable do you have, cord or belt?