1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

The Savannah Shameful Secret

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat - General Discussion' started by Trish Allearz, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Trish Allearz

Trish Allearz Moderator

Hi Everyone,

So I figured I'd bring up the shameful, hidden side of Savannahs... The painful secret they keep to themselves and don't want exposed to the world... The... The...

PRIMORDIAL POUCH.

If you've never heard of this painful, shameful, Savannah secret- read up on it here...

http://cat-chitchat.pictures-of-cats.org/2009/02/cat-primordial-pouch-abdominal-fold-or.html

Does your kitty have this? Simon does. Badly. LOL. His weeble-wobbles almost to his knees. Sometimes, it is worse then other times- like this time of year, it's bigger and floppier.

• Like Like x 3
  2. MK Anderson

MK Anderson Guest

Keeba has it too, sadly:( LOL! He is very lean, but if you get the wrong angle some might think he's not lean, but really he is! Poor guy, I still love him tho!!! :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Taj has a small one...Zuri does not have one and the kittens...well...they don't have one :roflmao:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jacq

Jacq Savannah Super Cat

Razi has the biggest one ever! He looks lean from the top, and overweight from the side. It's so funny when he runs and it sways from side-to-side :roflmao: You can see it in this pic...
    Razi&Bergie2.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Melody Waara

Melody Waara Spotlight Savannahs

Ahhhhhhahahahahahaha.. this thread is amazing. My Phonic has that "flap". Maybe we need to make September's photo theme "pouches" :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

Only one with a pouch here is my British Shorthair! LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  7. JOSHardson

JOSHardson Savannah Super Cat

Rufio definitely has one, but it's not huge though. It's barely noticeable in this picture. More so when he stands. I have been wondering why they have them.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

We are the House of Pouch. Juba Kai has one that flops back & forth when he runs and Maliik, whose daddy is an Egyptian Mau, definitely inherited the Mau pouch but his isn't as floppy as Juba's. Taji looks like a tube sock, the only one with no pouch.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

There have been several explanations of the primordial pouch, all of them feasible and probably true:
    The primordial pouch is a multi-functional flap. It provides a little extra protection against kicks, which are common during cat fights as a cat will try and rake with it's rear claws. In wild cats, the ancestors of domesticated felines, this pouch appears to be present to provide extra room in case the animal has the opportunity to eat a large meal and the stomach needs to expand. It's also been said that this stomach pouch allows the cat to bend and expand, allowing for faster running and higher jumping.
    Read more: What Is the Primordial Pouch in Cats? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_12088225_primordial-pouch-cats.html#ixzz24VCTwLsT

• Like Like x 4
  10. Medesha

Medesha Savannah Super Cat

One of my outside girls, Dani, has one. I always just thought she had a bit of a belly, that her previous owner fed her too much. But she's been with me for over year now and it's still there.