Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Travelling through Canada

Grace

Savannah Super Cat
We have decided that it's in ours and Simon's best interest that we do not travel through Canada next weekend. We have been taking him on car rides with us and he is doing well, we also just got spray Feliway to help calm him on the longer drive. Through the US this will be roughly 13 hours, and we will drive it straight just stopping for gas, food, and potty sessions for Simon.

Important to note is that he absolutely will not put up with the carrier for long periods of time. He rubs his face on it and bites and claws at the soft carrier. Luckily he is totally accustomed to being on a leash and harness!! This is how we have been and will be traveling with him in the car, one of us making sure he doesn't get anywhere he shouldn't be and comforting him along the way/spraying Feliway a few times throughout the trip.

When we get to Michigan Simon will be in our bedroom exclusively to sniff everything out and calm down. I called the vet today and they said if he seems calm and everything it wouldn't be wrong to let him out in the main living area, but I am not sure if this is such a good idea given he's only going to be there for 9 days..They also have a very large fake christmas tree up and I wouldn't want him getting stuck or hurting himself by knocking it over or something..

If anyone has any suggestions for the trip I am open to them! Thanks :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If he isn't going to be in a carrier he should be restrained in some other way. The last thing you need is a cat down by your feet when you're trying to drive. Have you tried a larger (e.g., 42") crate in the back of the car? Alternatively, there are some pet restraint devices to keep a cat or dog secure in a car seat while driving.

Grace

Savannah Super Cat
In the past car rides he has spent the majority of the time just sitting on my lap and I am holding him and his leash securely (I am buckled in). I'm sure he won't want this the whole way though and in that case yes a big crate in the back would be a great idea! That way he might not feel so constrained as in a small carrier hopefully. It's me and my boyfriend driving so one of us will always be able to watch what Simon is doing, hold his leash to make sure he doesn't get anywhere he shouldn't. Are you thinking about safety in the case of sudden stops mostly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
In the past car rides he has spent the majority of the time just sitting on my lap and I am holding him and his leash securely (I am buckled in). I'm sure he won't want this the whole way though and in that case yes a big crate in the back would be a great idea! That way he might not feel so constrained as in a small carrier hopefully. It's me and my boyfriend driving so one of us will always be able to watch what Simon is doing, hold his leash to make sure he doesn't get anywhere he shouldn't. Are you thinking about safety in the case of sudden stops mostly?

Also in case of a car accident it is much safer to have him in a crate so he can't escape.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I use a huge crate when traveling or a sturdi show shelter...i was in a car accident once with one of my kittens, and had he not been in a hard carrier, he would have been killed... Something to consider...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Are you thinking about safety in the case of sudden stops mostly?
Thinking mostly that when driving for hours you are not always cognizant of everything happening and the kitty can slip away and crawl somewhere unsafe. However, sudden stops or worse yet, an accident, is a disaster waiting to happen for an unrestrained kitten. Would you drive your car with a baby in it unrestrained in a car seat? No different with a cat.

Grace

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for your help! We will do what we can to make sure Simon stays safe in the trip. Buckled in crate etc

admin

Paige
Staff member
The trip went great, and thanks so much to Kathy, Simon's breeder who let us use a Sturdi crate of hers that we buckled into the car. He slept almost the entire 14 hour drive back home he was such a good boy!

Glad to hear it all went ok! Simon is a great traveler sounds like :)