Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Tritrichamonas (TF)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
My vet usually advises a bland diet...which in effect is what your vet is suggesting by the chicken baby food. Mine suggests boiled chicken and a little white rice... I usually get some ground chicken and cook it up with a lot of water and add a little cooked white rice. Most of mine will eat it. You could try that?

T

The Kasbah

Hi Django:

I am not familiar with Fromm Brand Food, but personally do not think that he will tolerate any commercially manufactured food while his digest system is under duress.

Sometimes baby food will do the trick, but personally have never had much success with it. I recommend boiling up a pot of chicken, removing bones and mixing it with plain white rice. No salt, no seasoning, but definitely use the broth. This should not only taste good to him, but is easy to mix the probiotics into and may help sooth his tummy while providing him with some nutrition. We have used this on vets advice for a number of years and it does seem to not only stimulate appetite, but also soothe aching tummies.

I recommend making a quantity and keeping it in the fridge for easy use. Sometimes they like it a bit heated up, so microwave it a teeny bit if you need to.

Hope this helps!

Keep us posted.

django

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks Cynthia. I will go to the store and try that tonight. He refuses to eat the baby food. Bought $25 of it too! I'll post an update when we get results sometime later this week. He has a followup appt Friday.

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
It was difficult to find a vet that knew what TF was. I waited for a morning when I spotted a cowpie stool and took a photo of cowpie stool (posted somewhere on the TF thread) and went to vet that same day. The vet took a stool sample with a q-tip and put the fecal matter on a slide with saline and looked at it under a microscope. If I remember correctly, there was a hook on what they saw swimming. In fact there were close to 20 that could be seen on the slide. The problem with bringing in a stool sample was that it dies very quickly once outside of the body, thus nothing would be seen in a stool sample that you carry in. The 2 symptoms that made me sure I was dealing with TF was the odor and the cowpie stools that would come and go even though other tests were negative( fecal float test, Giardia etc). I got Tink 8/30/10, the odor was always present, had the cowpie stools on and off from day 1. Read something about TF on Sunset Exotics website in Feb., 2011. Started doing research. The more I read, the more sure I was. She was not diagnosed until June, 2011. She was treated, and retested in Aug. 2011. We have not had any issues since then. Sue

django

Savannah Super Cat
Geeeeeeeeeeeee. Can't understand why they would not want a fresh sample! Maddening for you!!! The good news is that you got the ball rolling...and hopefully will be getting some answers soon! Please keep us informed and once you have the PCR results, we can discuss your treatment protocol in greater detail.

I've never had TriTrich, but have some experience with Coccidia, Giarrdia and Champlobachter of all things...so if my experience is relevant, I'm happy to share.

Wishing you the best of luck with the testing, treatment and some relief!!!

All best,

So got results from Django's fecal today. He was positive for coronavirus (which they didnt seem concerned about at all, they said something like 50% of cats test positive for it, i thought this was related to FIP) and he also tested positive for Clostridium perfringens. He will be remaining on the Flagyl and they have him switching to a high fiber Royal Canin food to hopefully help his bouts diarrea. Granted who knows, he could have Tritrich too since all I've read says its hard to test positive for especially with a sample they had me take from home, so I still can't rule that one out.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Clostridial infections can be secondary to the cause too,so hard as you say to rule out the Tritrich if it wasn't a fresh sample. Your vets are correct, the Coronavirus result is not likely to be a big concern. It can cause a transient diarrhea, but it only rarely progresses to FIP....so a positive Coronavirus test does not equal FIP.

Probiotics should help if it is mainly due to Clostridium... as that is indicative of an imbalance of his gut bacteria... giving some beneficial bacteria (the probiotic) can help rebalance the population and firm the stools that way too. Some fibers act to do this also, I think they term them pre-biotics in that they encourage the growth of good bacteria in the gut also...

DocMac

Site Supporter
If you have a veterinary school nearby, they usually have professors who are well versed in this area and want new vets to be aware. I'm lucky to live close to Virginia Tech College if Veterinary Science. They love Savannahs.

Josie
River Ridge
West Virginia

DocMac

Site Supporter
Hi Django:

I am not familiar with Fromm Brand Food, but personally do not think that he will tolerate any commercially manufactured food while his digest system is under duress.

Sometimes baby food will do the trick, but personally have never had much success with it. I recommend boiling up a pot of chicken, removing bones and mixing it with plain white rice. No salt, no seasoning, but definitely use the broth. This should not only taste good to him, but is easy to mix the probiotics into and may help sooth his tummy while providing him with some nutrition. We have used this on vets advice for a number of years and it does seem to not only stimulate appetite, but also soothe aching tummies.

I recommend making a quantity and keeping it in the fridge for easy use. Sometimes they like it a bit heated up, so microwave it a teeny bit if you need to.

Hope this helps!

Keep us posted.

I use a crock pot for the chicken. I can "space out" although it takes a little longer and the rice can cook in the stock.

Josie
River Ridge
West Virginia