1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Tritrichamonas?

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Health' started by Breheart, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breheart

Breheart Guest

Get ready for a long story!

Let me start with a health history for the last 3 months since I have had Keljin home. He was the runt of his litter born August 16th 2011, and was at first told by vets that he would not make it. His mother and litter had coccidia and after treatment even being underweight he began on his way to health! I fell in love with the little guy and his unique markings and wanted him to be mine.

He has had ongoing diarrhea issues his whole life unsolved, and after many vet remedies it continues to come back.

October 28 2011 - 11 weeks old 0.63lb Keljin came home with me, bony dehydrated and way underweight compared to his 2lb siblings. He tested positive for roundworms, so I gave him dewormer twice, 2 weeks apart from the vet. Also treated him with flea medicine once he was done with the dewormer.

November 2011 - 14 weeks, 1.21lbs! he doubled weight in 3 weeks I was so happy. But, he was drippy with terrible diarrhea that he could not control and dripped everywhere he walked. Vet had me change to a GI sensitive diet to see if that would help. I also began giving him a spoon of pumpkin with each feeding. At this point he was 100% dry food converted. The wet food made his stools worse, so I stopped with that.

December 2011 - 17 weeks, 1.15lbs.. Dehydrated and losing weight. I noticed some little rice grainy segments in his drips, uh oh.. tapeworm! Gave him a pill to kill the tapeworm. Vet started him on metranodizole to ease up his diarrhea.

Early January 2012 - Keljin is 2.4 lbs! He is thriving, nice stools, active, and gaining weight like a maniac. Took him in to get neutered and vaccinated now that he was nice and healthy. Post surgery was a battle.. he refused to eat for 5 days straight, I mushed food and water and force fed him, he became dehydrated and lost weight again.. Finally got him to start eating pumpkin, then back to dry food after that was done.

Present - 5 months old Keljin is 3lbs (his siblings are all 5-7lbs so he is still behind) He is eating well and active, but his diarrhea has come back! Forgot to mention he also occasionally bleeds when passing stools. Bright blood so its fresh, he just has a sensitive rear end. All this time this symptom was brushed off being blamed on sensitive due to parasites, and ongoing diarrhea, and also being so small. But now that its ongoing, we have treated every symptom but it just seems to keep coming back. What is the underlying cause?

I have gotten in touch with one of his siblings owners, and she had the same problems too! fleas, tapeworm, severe diarrhea. Then I hear that she also had Tritrichamonas.. that is the last thing we have not treated for, but I heard that medicine is hazardous to humans, and has a lot of bad kitty side effects such as brain tumors? Is it worth it to get Kejlin healthy? I am tired of following him and wiping his butt constantly due to his drippings. He is finally able to gain weight and be normal, but I just still worry for this underlying cause since the symptoms keep returning each month..

Does anyone have any experience with Tritrachamonas, or the medicine Ronodizole? My sister Alisha, with Kronos, opened a threat about diarrhea issues which I am sure will be helpful to me also. But I am wondering if this is something I should look into or not.. Help!

2. Breheart

Breheart Guest

Here is a picture from when I first took Keljin home in October. Great spots, but his poor little hips sticking out :(

Attached Files:

3. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

TriTrich can explain all the symptoms he is having. He is adorable! I have not had any issues with Tritrich, but know that it is usually treated with Ronidazole. And yes, ronidazole can cause issues, especially involving the nervous system, I believe. But if his sibling has TriTrich, I bet he does as well...you should probably get a PCR test to make sure...

I will let some of the other folk on here answer more extensively, since I have not had any experience with TriTrich, but know about it and know kittens who have had it.

4. shelby

shelby Guest

I have no experience, but will say you should pass on the info to your vet. I am sure he will do his best to help you resolve the problem. All in all I would have to say if the sib has been diagnosed..chancea are pretty darned good that your kitten may be suffering from the samr thing.;>(

5. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

I do know someone who had to treat an entire litter of SV kittens and all of her adult savannahs with Ronidazole for TriTrich. The medication can have some nasty side effects, but right now is the only effective treatment for TriTrich.

probably the best thing to do is take your kitten to the vet, let the vet know about the sibs TriTrich...your vet will probably do a PCR and then treat the kitten. Once the kitten is treated, I do know he will have to be retested for TriTrich.

All of her kittens are now fine as well as the adults, so the Ronidazole worked. She just had to watch them all carefully for aside effects.

6. Kronos

Kronos Guest

Is it possible for a cat to get over tritrich without this medication? Alternate treatment options maybe?

7. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

8. Kronos

Kronos Guest

My vet wanted to avoid the medication and told me it should resolve on its own. Maybe I need a 2nd opinion.

9. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

It may resolve, according to what I have read and heard from others, but then the kitten will always be a carrier. I would get another opinion, especially considering you have another cat. If they use the same litter box, then both cats should be tested.

10. Kiangagirl

Kiangagirl Savannah Super Cat

Please forgive my ignorance---but what is TriTrich and is it contagious? Sounds really nasty. Please don't take offense because I'm not judging here---but isn't there something the breeder could have done to prevent or treat this condition? I mean why did he/she sell a sick kitten?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.