Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Walking Savannah's Outside/Behavior as a Result

Spartacus

Savannah Super Cat
Hello everyone. My husband and I are new members of this social website, and proud owners of an 11 week old F2 Savannah. Spartacus will be flying "home" next Friday. We are so excited to meet him and finally have him with us. We only have a week left, so we are doing final touches on things for him.

I have been doing a lot of research on harnesses, walking Savannah's, and leash training. I asked our breeded about it, and she now has both my husband and I terrified. She said once you start walking them and they get used to it, they will start trying to dash out the door every time one is opened. She said most never come back or end up as road kill. I want to see if I can get some feed back on this...

We want to be able to walk him because we are not home near as much as we would like to be, so we want to be sure to walk him once in the morning and once at night to be sure that he gets all the exercise he deserves. We will obviously play with him as well, but we just aren't sure it will be enough.

Anyways, we don't want to have to spend the next 20 years sneaking in and out of the house. We don't have kids right now, but who knows what the future holds and we all know how kids can run in and out. We also like to have guests over frenquently, and I don't want to have to worry about locking Spartacus in our bedroom so I don't have to worry about him running out with a guest.

Should we be truly concerned, or is it no different than what maybe a dog would do. Do Savannah's really "dash" out the door if given the opportunity, or do they simply run to the door in hopes of going out on the leash? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.... Walking him on a leash was one of the things I was most excited about, but I am not willing to risk his life if there is a high chance it could be a recipe for disaster.

THANKS EVERYONE!!

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
We've had Kovu for about 3 months now.

I started putting the harness on him after a couple days to get him used to it. Then we took him outside on it for the first time a couple weeks after he got here.

For him, no matter how much I take him outside, he'd MUCH rather be inside. lol So escaping isn't an issue for us. But I'm sure each Savannah cat is different in that area.

Good luck & congrats on your newest edition. Spartacus is an AWESOME name.

Paul B

Sorte
Just make sure he never actually "walks" out the door when you go to walk him. Carry him out in your arms or in a carrier, leash attached so he learns that is the way he goes outside. What type of area do you live in? City, countryside? I'm sure other will be more helpful in answering, but that was the one big idea I learned here and it makes sense. :) Can wait to get to see pictures of your little man, Spartacus when he is home! :)

Spartacus

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you so much. My profile picture is a picture of him at 9 weeks, pretty big huh. :) That is too funny about Kovu. Maybe Spartacus will be that way too. Then I wouldn't feel so bad to not walk him. I just think it is great exercise for him...and makes my husband and I exercise a bit too :)

Paul, that is an AMAZING idea. See I knew I came to the right place.

We live in the county but only about 3 miles from the city, and there is a major road alongside of our subdivision, which is why I am so concerned...not to mention, if I saw a Cheetah looking cat running down the street, I would run inside and hide, but I don't doubt that there are people who would reach for a gun.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
My door dasher is the one who least likes to walk on a leash, my F6 demon. I solved the problem by keeping a water bottle by the door. When I came back from walking the other 2, I'd open the door a crack and if Taji tried to escape, I shot him with the water. He gave up the escape attempts pretty quickly. Once or twice a year he falls off the wagon and I just use the water bottle until he relearns good manners.

Spartacus

Savannah Super Cat
My door dasher is the one who least likes to walk on a leash, my F6 demon. I solved the problem by keeping a water bottle by the door. When I came back from walking the other 2, I'd open the door a crack and if Taji tried to escape, I shot him with the water. He gave up the escape attempts pretty quickly. Once or twice a year he falls off the wagon and I just use the water bottle until he relearns good manners.

Thank you so much. I may have to try that as well. ...I am such a worry wart and he is already our baby and we haven't even met him yet. lol. We do NOT want to do anything to hurt him.

Paul B

Sorte

I think its so funny how they can find water fun and enjoyable, but spray them once or twice with a squirt bottle when they are being naughty and they learn pretty quick. LOL!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I think its so funny how they can find water fun and enjoyable, but spray them once or twice with a squirt bottle when they are being naughty and they learn pretty quick. LOL!
So true. I think it's the element of surprise of that rather forceful jet of water coming out of nowhere. And they didn't choose to get wet. It's a whole 'nother thing when they choose to play in water.

I found fang marks in one of the spray bottles last week so they definitely know it's the bottle that attacks them.