1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Weird stance

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat - General Discussion' started by F/3, Jul 22, 2012.

1. F/3

F/3 Savannah Super Cat

When simba stands he keeps his heels together. Always has. He runs and jumps just fine.
    It's hard to get a picture because when I grab the phone he turns.
    Got a quick one today. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

2. Medesha

Medesha Savannah Super Cat

T_T He's bowlegged!!!! He's doomed!!!

/joke

Sorry, I haven't a clue. As long as he's not favoring one leg or the other, maybe he just likes standing like that? Cats can't look graceful all the time @_@.

• Like Like x 3
  3. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

One of mine stands like that too. I read on one site years ago (can't remember which breeder) that this is common due to their long legs. My other two don't stand that way, one of whom has way longer legs than the cat with the funny stance. Anyway, it hasn't hampered him in any way and he has no abnormalities in leg or joint structure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

It can happen in long-legged cats. Generally speaking, in the cat world we don't want "cow-hocked" cats, but it has been noted in Savannahs that with the long back legs sometimes it appears to be like that but isn't a true fault in most cases :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Medesha

Ohh, now I'm going to stalk Vakai all over the house and see if he does it!

6. xumi's mom

xumi's mom Susan

Xumi does this, too. It's because their hind legs are longer than the front ones. Sometimes it also gives the appearence of swaying when she's slowly walking. When I first noticed this, I said "Hey, you're waddling!" She just looked at me, like "I do NOT waddle! That is merely a cyclic displacement of mass normal to the vector of direction of travel!"

• Like Like x 6
  7. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

This is called cow hocking and is a structural defect. It usually doesn't cause any issues with the cat. Here is a pretty detailed presentation on cow hocking:
    http://ragdollworldonline.com/cowhockarticle.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  8. F/3

F/3 Savannah Super Cat

Just noticed auto spell on my phone mispelled weird.

9. Per Lausund

Per Lausund Moderator Staff Member

Many of ours are the same, I guess it´s because they have to place their long legs somehow, and too much bend in the ankle is not optimal. They´re not cow-hocked, it´s quite normal.

10. Medesha

Yeah, I didn't like the way that PDF made it sound- unless they're show kitties, it doesn't sound that such a big deal. The PDF made it sound the kittens were part crippled or something!