Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What other breeds do you own?

Trish Allearz

What other breeds of cats do you own? Do you find said breed gets along well with your Savannahs or not?

We have had Sphynxes with our SVs and they get along amazingly well. We currently have a Selkirk and he loves playing with Savannah kittens! We also have three oldies- DSHs- and they tolerate the SVs, but don't play with them.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Both of our non-Savannahs ( an Ocicat and DSH) fit in and get along very well with the gang. The Ocicat is every bit as high-energy as the SV's, sometimes more so. The DSH is mellow, but plays hard with them when she forgets how prissy she usually she is, lol. I consider myself fortunate that everyone gets along so well, with the occasional girlie squabbles, of course ;)

admin

Paige
Staff member
My two savannahs and gray street boy (Cisco) get along...but Zuri is the one who controls both boys (what a surprise)!!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
And I forgot to mention - Zuri brought out the playfulness in cisco, who is nine years old...they run together, sleep together and play together...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Years ago, we had two older domestic shorthairs that did not deal well with the energy of the Savannahs. Eventually a couple of our friends took pity on them and brought them back to their homes where they are very happy. We get visiting rights...but know that they are better off there. For the first year after we got our first Savannah they were tolerant, but I think after the "kitten" didn't seem to grow up after that first year, they got tetchy and said "no" which to a Savannah means try harder. Then they tried to run away from the Savannahs which of course is an invitation to chase and tackle. We were faced with dividing our house to give them space when the alternative homes offered and we realized that was preferable for our cats.

We now have a British Shorthair, and he does great with them. I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of people...then made my friend Kristine (Gattobello Savannahs) get a Brit to trial first. LOL! The Brit personality is very strong and unflappable. They don't bother to run away, they simply ignore the cat if they don't want to play! It's perfect for the Savannah... and makes a nice contrast in looks and personality. Just they shed buckets of fur... they have the densest fur of the cat breeds and you really notice it in the house...

admin

Paige
Staff member
Saw lots of brits at Meet the Breeds...they were a big hit! I do think it is very important that they get along and a cat is not picked on. Glad the DSH's are happy in their new home though...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It was hard to do, and we still pay vet bills on them (as I still consider them our responsibility)... they're 15 and 16 years old now...
We visit them regularly and one of the owners sends me pictures of her girl every week and little email comments every day sometimes more...she is quite adored by her mommy and that makes me happy as she was absolutely perfect for my friend who had had some less-sociable kitties before and truly wanted a snuggly kitty. It was a match made in heaven... which assuages the guilt a little!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am glad they are happy and although you feel guilty, as I would, you did what was best for them, which goes a long, long way...and you get to visit and see pictures...sounds like they are very happy, which is most important :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I never find it easy to rehome a cat... we do occasionally spay and pet out a breeding cat too... I'd rather keep them all but it would be selfish of me. Our household is a busy pet household and some cats really need to have a smaller number of pets.
Still, some will never leave here... like Missy (F1) that simply would not adapt to another home, she is so bonded to me.

Trish Allearz

Thankfully, my oldies don't really care. They either smack the SVs or walk away- sometimes, they may run, but then that causes the SVs to chase- so they've learned it isn't the best mode of defense against the spotted crew!

I think the BS is why Selkirks are so good with SVs too- at least the short coated Selkirks. Cole's personality is very much like Georgie's.