Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

what tastes like tuna?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki has liver issues and as a result she is quite picky about food. Up until the end of April, she only ate raw and snubbed every attempt to give her anything else. Since this health issue began, we have given her anything and everything she is willing to eat. In the last few days, she has been obsessed with people-tuna. She will eat a full can in one meal, no problem. Tonight, she has asked for more after consuming her full can (4 oz of food + 1 oz of water). She is currently in the process of eating another 1/2 can. I really do not like giving her tuna because it is too far up the food chain and has a lot of issues for cats but bottom line is that I need her to eat. What is similar in flavor to tuna without the negatives?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Linda, it is my understanding that cats are not real flavor driven. They eat what their systems NEED. It is possible there is something in tuna that she needs for her liver issues. Maybe Omega 3 ... I don't know. But don't rule out that she is getting something she needs from the tuna. Just sayin...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Since Rafiki has a taste for seafood...have you tried other fish, such as raw tuna or salmon? You might also try draining the juice from a can of tuna and adding it onto another food and see if she will eat that...I have heard that cats can't resist the taste of canned mackeral, too. I understand your concern about her eating the canned fish, but she IS eating...have you tried any of the tuna or fish flavored canned cat foods? Again, try those with added canned tuna juice...

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I have tried salmon, mackerel and sardines and she snubbed them all. She sometimes eats the Wellness tuna but both the minced and morsels were a bust this week. The internal medicine vet suggested white fish but I seem to recall that this is rather tasteless (at least as far as sushi is concerned). She definitely will not eat raw fish - or at least not up until now so I was trying to think of what I can lightly cook and serve her.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Have you tried canned chicken? Might be higher in sodium but maybe you could find one that isn't.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Sole filet was "acceptable" after it was soaked in tuna juice and served 80/20 tuna/sole.

Have you tried any of the Fancy Feast fish? At this point, I think you just need to get her to eat - doesn't matter what canned it is...have you tried Applaws at all? What about Earthborn Holistics fish flavors?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Last night she ate about 5-1/2 oz of tuna/sole fish plus about 3/4 oz of liquid (tuna juice plus what I cooked the sole in). This morning she only ate about 2 oz total.

She will not go near Fancy Feast. It is the oddest thing but she has never taken a bite of grocery store cat food. I have not tried Applaws or Earthborn. I will look into them.

I also bought some ground kangaroo meat and some bison burgers to try.