Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What to feed him?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Our F4 will be coming home in 2 weeks also. My concern is figuring out how much/often to feed him. He will be 13wks old. His breeder is feeding him kibble.

A general guideline to use for amount to feed is to multiply the weight of the cat by 16 to convert to ounces. Take that figure and multiply it by .02, .04, .06, .08, .10 (.02 being an inactive cat, .08 being a very active cat) and you'll get a guideline for ounces to feed daily. Since kittens are highly active you can figure on using .08 as a general guideline.

Example: kitten weight 3lbs x 16 = 48 x .08 = 3.84 oz. I established a range for my kittens using .04 as the low and .12 as the high and was happy if they ate between that range.

I think it's always better to offer more food at first until you see a pattern and then you can adjust. I fed my kittens 3x a day for the first couple weeks in the a.m., when I got home from work; and before bedtime then cut back to 2x per day.

Hopefully your breeder will be able to advise on average weight gain per week/month so you'll know if you are on track.

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
All my cats and kittens have dry food available to them 24/7 and wet food (raw grind for mine and canned for kittens that are for sale) once each afternoon. I have only had one over-eater in 8 years and she had other health issues. Given a quality food, a healthy cat will typically eat what it needs, when it's hungry and do not need to be rationed.

K

Kronos

DO buy at least 1 bag of the Iams that he is on at the breeders. Moving alone without a diet change is enough to cause diarrhea, and 1 more bag of it isn't going to hurt him. Once settled in I would go ahead and slowly transition to the Blue Wilderness.

I LOVE the Blue Wilderness btw. My Ragdoll, Solo, was on that at the breeder and I have kept him on it since and always have had great results. Healthy weight, clean eyes and nose, firm nearly odorless stool, glossy coat, etc.

Kronos on the other hand has been having poop issues and it was impossible to feed two cats two different kinds of food. Right now I have them both eating Royal Canin Sensitive 33 (for sensitive stomachs) and that seems to be a little better. The moment Kronos is over this ordeal I am switching them both back to Wilderness.

Cheshire

Savannah Child
Hi!

Soon I will be welcoming a Savannah kitten to the family! Currently, I feed my cat Science Diet dry food. Any thoughts on Science Diet for the Savannah?

Thanks!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
IMHO it would be in the best interest of your current cat and the kitten to change to a high quality moist food. There is a ton of good information about cat nutrition at catinfo.org.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Science diet has grain in it which is not a natural food for obligate carnivores. Read the ingredients on the packages, and meat (not meal)should be the first few ingredients.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hi!

Soon I will be welcoming a Savannah kitten to the family! Currently, I feed my cat Science Diet dry food. Any thoughts on Science Diet for the Savannah?

Thanks!
It would be best to start your kitten out on the same food that your breeder is feeding, then gradually switch over to whatever food you want to eventually use by adding a bit more of the new to the bowl and a bit less of the old each day. Many cats do fine on Science Diet but it is not considered one of the better brands. Take some time to read labels and try to find something that doesn't have grains in the first five ingredients. Some options include Taste of the Wild, Evo, and Wellness.