1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Zoomies...

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Behavior' started by Suzanne H, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Suzanne H

Suzanne H Savannah Super Cat

What I would like to know is when your SV gets the zoomies, how do you handle it? I mean, I've read about decor getting knocked down etc. What do you do, not decorate except with SV friendly items?
    Can they be taught to not to bounce off the walls?
    Erik, my husband, is a European Taxidermist, so we have a few trophies on the walls, and I know he would freak if something happened to them.
    So, now I'm trying to figure out how to accomadate having an SV, with all of this.
    Thanks,
    Suzanne

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wyldthingz

Wyldthingz Savannah Super Cat

Mine stay off wall things. They aren't THAT bad!

3. Suzanne H

Lol...
    Erik is just concerned that when we get ours, they may perch on the trophies.

4. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Mine do as well - almost...for the first time, I had to remove a painting on the bedroom wall because Zuri tried to walk across the top of it at 4 am one morning...that was a disaster :(

5. Kristine

Kristine Moderator

I usually try and divert their attention with a wand toy. The best thing is another Savannah to zoom with though (-:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ashley

Ashley Savannah Super Cat

Kovu's zoomies aren't to the extent where he is knocking stuff off the wall. Usually there is running INTO the wall, or running into the couch, food bowl, ect. lol

7. Julie

Julie Savannah Super Cat

Mine doesn't go high up with his... well besde doors.

He runs and jumps off walls or couches, but always within 3 ft or so of the ground. Just put up high or fixed to something to be safe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

My house is bare of anything breakable, including paintings on my walls that were there for years before I had Savannahs. I just had one leaping for my ceiling fan this evening - thank goodness she can't jump that high - yet!

9. Suzanne H

LOL Patti,
    That's what I am hoping I don't have to do, but if so oh well.
    I keep reading the phrase "perpetual toddler" and all I can think of is my 2 year old daughter, Tank, that's what Erik calls her. So, if I can deal with her, I think I can deal with the antics of an SV.
    Now I just have to fully decide what gen. I want and whether male or female. Geeze decisions decisions.

10. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

Whenever I talk to a potential new Savannah owner I always warn them that they need to child proof their homes from floor to ceiling because like a small child they will get into everything, but unlike a small child they can also jump! I actually have chains on my cabinets above the counter because they are apparently irresistible to my Savannahs, and I couldn't devise a less drastic method that could keep the cats out!