Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Zuri Update - Please Help

Trish Allearz

If a liquid is that horrible, you can also ask if its okay to mix with something else. Example, my dewormer is gross, but I pull it up and then pull up some evaporated milk to cut the taste.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

DChap

Site Supporter
Tojo went through treatment for Tritrich in June. It was a liquid and the compounding pharmacy flavored it with chicken. He hated it but I was able to get it down him with the syringe and some quick moves ;) . But he is a really easy cat to handle. I watched him very closely and he didn't show any side effects that I could see. He does also have IBD but seems to be slowly putting on a little weight finally :up:

Joey Jordan

Savannah Super Cat
Joey, that's a long time for meds. My vet used a compounding veterinary pharmacy (BCP Vet Pharm) in Houston and I had the meds in 2 days. Shipping was almost as much at the medication itself. Under $50 total. I don't know where you are but it shouldn't take a week to get your meds. I got capsules as I read the medication itself is nasty tasting. Was easier to poke a pill down her throat than try to deal with a liquid. Don't put it in a pill pocket. Mine just tried eating around it. Go with what you can handle best.
Hi. Thank for the information. I took Zuri to the vet today to be weighed so he could get the accurate dosage. The pharmacy is local. They are suppose to call me when ready. the cost is 125.00 for the two weeks. I wasn't sure if that was reasonable or not but know I needed it. I'll be home for all but one day he will be on the meds so I can monitor him. Here's to positive thoughts he's not going to have any side affects.

Joey Jordan

Savannah Super Cat
My kitten just finished both meds of exactly what you are describing. They take the weight and having a special compound pharmacy prepare it. It was an horrible experience for my kitten. After giving her the medication she would avoid me. needing now to wait 2 weeks to test again PCR. It's been crazy trying to get her to eat. I found feeding her in different places sometimes worked. Sometimes I had to put the food in my hand for her to eat. Sometimes heat it only slightly.Most times she would only eat 2 or 3 bites and would not be interested in any more of that flavor. One important thing is to stick to one protein source so if any other questions come up at least this way might keep the "maybe" list shorter. I worried also about the medication, giving half of the 0.05 amount she no longer fought me, it was like she was in a trance. Every day when the hour drew near for me to give her the medication I would get a stomach ache. Good news is now she has firm stools which she has not had since we have had her. Hoping the PCR is negative this second time around. I can relate to your situation.
Thank you for your support and feedback. I'm glad to hear your little one is better now. I hope you get good results from your second PCR.

MM3

Site Supporter
my cost for 14 days was $63 but no matter the cost ...we would all pay to have our kitties get well and be happy.

maalleh

Savannah Super Cat
Hi. Thank for the information. I took Zuri to the vet today to be weighed so he could get the accurate dosage. The pharmacy is local. They are suppose to call me when ready. the cost is 125.00 for the two weeks. I wasn't sure if that was reasonable or not but know I needed it. I'll be home for all but one day he will be on the meds so I can monitor him. Here's to positive thoughts he's not going to have any side affects.

125.00 seems a bit excessive, especially with no shipping involved. I got 2 meds, azithromycin and ronidazole, both for 14 days, plus overnight shipping for just under $50. Good luck on getting your baby well.

Mary
Owned by Havi

MM3

Site Supporter
What I learned from this horrid experience is my kitten was mirroring my nervous energy. When I calmed down ..... She did as well. I'm not saying the reaction to awful tasting RX had disappeared but she didn't exhibit the extreme anxiety like before. Now the 2 week waiting period, my job is to get her gut in balance. And of course lots of love and attention!
Stay calm as hard as it is to be, supportive. Zuri is being taken care of and moving forward to resolve this issue!

admin

Paige
Staff member
What I learned from this horrid experience is my kitten was mirroring my nervous energy. When I calmed down ..... She did as well. I'm not saying the reaction to awful tasting RX had disappeared but she didn't exhibit the extreme anxiety like before. Now the 2 week waiting period, my job is to get her gut in balance. And of course lots of love and attention!
Stay calm as hard as it is to be, supportive. Zuri is being taken care of and moving forward to resolve this issue!

Completely agree..they definitely feel our nervousness, anxiety, etc. I notice this quite a bit when I am showing...if I am nervous and excited, they act up...when I am calm, it is an entirely different story...very good advice...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
125.00 seems a bit excessive, especially with no shipping involved. I got 2 meds, azithromycin and ronidazole, both for 14 days, plus overnight shipping for just under $50. Good luck on getting your baby well.

Mary
Owned by Havi
I agree, $125 for one cat for two weeks sounds excessive.