Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

2 F6 kittens peeing - HELP!

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Everyone,

I am desperate here. Please forgive this long post, but need to explain everything. My guys were born May 20, 2019. Can anyone shed any light on this problem or explanations that we haven't thought of please???? I do not want to give these kitties up.

I got 2 Savannah males from the same litter and were about 18 weeks old when they arrived. The breeder told me to wait as long as I could to fix them 6-7 months so that they grow as big as possible, bone development, ect and I don't stunt their hormones too early. About 2-3 weeks after they arrived, they started peeing in the house. I called the breeder, she said it was likely they have begun to sexually mature and I should get them neutered. I took them in the following week, they were 5.5 months old. Since that time, they are STILL peeing in the house. This started in early October 2019 and is still continuing. Last week they even pooped in my Christmas tub filled with items with plastic wrap that I brought in to decorate the house. There are no other animals or new people in the house. Nothing out of the ordinary, as a matter of fact, it's a brand new condo.

Here is the list of things we have talked about and tried:
- Pine pellet litter (they have this since birth)
- 2 cats = FOUR GIANT 401X5X10 inch plastic litter boxes - 1 on each floor of 3 story house, 2 side by side in the lower level
- I clean the boxes 2X daily - in the morning and before I go to bed at night and always put new litter in to replace.
- Entire boxes are emptied approximately 1X per week and replenished
- Have Kitty attract powder which I use in all litter boxes
- Breeder said hormones could rage still for up to 6 months
- Vet said hormones can range 1-2 months
- Vet said put pheromone collars on both, which I did
- Vet said prescribed Prosac - cats are taking
- I separated them into separate rooms, the crying was so bad that after 2 days, I let them out, they still peed
- Got organic orange citrus spray to spray in areas they pee, then they find another area or if I don't spray, they go back to that area ( 2 bathtubs, 2 sinks, plastic shoe matt at front door, clean clothes folded in laundry baskets, plastic litter bag that is 1/2 empty, throw rugs)
- put goldfish in tub one weekend to make it a 'play ' area instead of a pee area - didn't help. Unless the orange spray is in the tub, they will pee in it
- They have peed on the rubber matt RIGHT OUT SIDE OF THE CLEAN LITTER BOX!!!
- They are played within the morning before I leave for 20 minutes and easily 30-45 minutes at night when I come home
- They have more toys, wands, cat trees than imaginable to any cat owner
- They get fed 3X day expensive wet canned food, always have fresh water out on 2 levels along with kibbles always out

Any suggestions any one please??????????????????

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
I’ve had cats raised with pellet litter hate it and pee outside the boxes. Try getting the Cat Attract litter itself for at least 2 of the boxes, and not just the additive. It works much better in my experience.

What are you using to clean the areas with? The enzyme cleaners you buy at the stores is not effective. Anti Icky Poo or NokOut from Amazon are what I recommend. If it is on soft surfaces like beds or carpets get the carpet injector so you get it into the soft surface. If you clean with any products containing bleach you should know this is an attractant for many cats to pee.

An open basket of clothes is not that different than a litter box to them, and is a common place to have cats pee. It’s an easy way to learn to put all clothes away where they can’t be reached. Both clean and dirty clothes.

Have they been declawed?

You can try retraining them to the box by restricting them to an easily cleanable area with no soft surfaces and once they have started using the box only open them up to one additional room at a time.

When you brought them home, did you keep them quarantined to one smaller area for the first two weeks? This step should be done regardless of whether you have other animals or not. If you didn’t, then I would definitely go back to square one and act like they just came home. Let them get used to one area at a time. A whole new home opened up to them can be very overwhelming and you might not know other than them reacting by inappropriate urination.

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Hi, Thank you!!!
1. Yes, they were sequestered in my bedroom for a week with the giant litter box
2. No bleaches or bad chemicals
3. Using Simple solution, EXtreme to clean areas
4. They are not declawed

I like your suggestion of using kitty attract litter itself instead of the pellets - do I need to slowly add in or should I just change one or all of the boxes?

And how long should I restrict them to one room at a time, 1 week, 2 weeks? I also have a surgery coming up on 12/18 and am super worried about this. What is the brand of kitty attract litter you use please?

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
A week quarantine wasn’t long enough when they got there. Start over with two weeks minimum.

“Cat Attract” is the brand name of the litter. It’s made by Dr Elseys. Since they are having issues already I would change out the two boxes immediately with the Cat Attract. It was a little too strong for us when I got it. The other cats wanted to play in it and the boy who needed it for peeing issues couldn’t get to it. So we got plain Dr Elseys unscented litter called Precious Cat and mixed them 50/50.

I’ve never heard of those cleaners. I would HIGHLY recommend getting one of the proven ones I mentioned.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Agreed with restarting quarantine, and with getting rid of the pine pellets ASAP. Most cats don’t like them because they are painful to sensitive paws. Good luck!

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
A week quarantine wasn’t long enough when they got there. Start over with two weeks minimum.

“Cat Attract” is the brand name of the litter. It’s made by Dr Elseys. Since they are having issues already I would change out the two boxes immediately with the Cat Attract. It was a little too strong for us when I got it. The other cats wanted to play in it and the boy who needed it for peeing issues couldn’t get to it. So we got plain Dr Elseys unscented litter called Precious Cat and mixed them 50/50.

I’ve never heard of those cleaners. I would HIGHLY recommend getting one of the proven ones I mentioned.
Thank you again so very much! This is extremely helpful and I am switching right away with quarantine in place -

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Agreed with restarting quarantine, and with getting rid of the pine pellets ASAP. Most cats don’t like them because they are painful to sensitive paws. Good luck!
Dang, thank YOU too so much, breeder rec'd the pine pellets, but I am willing to try anything so will immediately switch! Funny, my son suggested they were too hard and maybe they want soft litter - :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
All my cats happily use pine litter but it is true, any issues with litterbox use, Cat Attract litter is the most attractive option for cats...it's soft and comfy and then the special scent. You can work on transitioning back to whatever litter you prefer later on, but right now the aim is 100% usage of the litterboxes!

Completely agreed on the Anti Icky Poo versus the one(s) you've tried... like the litter this is the best product.

The huge litterboxes don't have a lid on them do they?

and are there any other pets in the house?

I'd add that I'd guess the Christmas tub may have resembled their litterbox...without seeing it but plastic boxes can appear to be litterboxes to cats!

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Today I went out and bought the Dr's kitty attract and am changing 2 of the boxes out. I will quarantine them in my bedroom, connected to the bathroom where their litter box is (giant one that will have kitty attract in it). In addition, if there any accidents, I ordered the Anti Icky Poo cleaner from Amazon! Everyone, thank you very much for the replies.

Bridget
- no covers on the litter boxes
- no other pets in the house
- yeah, agree, the tub probably resembled it, didn't think of that
- yes, 100% aim is LETS USE THE LITTERBOX BOYS!

Duma Love
- Did you boy use the kitty attract and was his peeing problem corrected then?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
If you can afford a LItterRobot, I recommended it. It's possible that for some reason, the cats have associated the boxes with something negative particularly if they don't like the pine pellets. They may associate their dislike of the litter with the box. If using a different litter doesn't work, perhaps changing the type of litter box used will work.