Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

3 Servals Escape in California

admin

Paige
Staff member
Just another ridiculously selfish owner putting these beautiful servals in danger of euthanization...two have been caught and I'm sure the third will be as well. They have been taken to a sanctuary, but it could have been more devastating for the cats.

Servals are illegal to own in California without a permit. This owner had three servals living in an apartment. Guess what? This is exactly why servals and other exotic animals are being banned...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cats-380868-animal-cat.html

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Three servals in an apartment? Wow, that doesn't sound right even if it were a state that allows Servals :-(

I hope they find the third one safely soon... you worry about them on the loose with people's reaction to a "wild cat" :-(

Why do people always put their own WANTS ahead of the animal's NEEDS... the cats are the ones that suffer when found out as illegal. They are the ones taken away from their home and put in a sanctuary (or sometimes euthanized), the owner gets a $2,000 fine? Sheesh.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I agree...it is just selfish, stupid people that would keep three servals in an apartment...what a shame :( Maybe if the people were taken out of their homes and put somewhere, the attitudes would change...this just makes me so furious!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Why do people always put their own WANTS ahead of the animal's NEEDS... the cats are the ones that suffer when found out as illegal. They are the ones taken away from their home and put in a sanctuary (or sometimes euthanized), the owner gets a $2,000 fine? Sheesh.

In my experience, people who do this kind of thing don't value the life of animals, don't see them as anything other than a thing without feelings and emotions to be thrown away when the novelty or fun wears off or when having them becomes inconvenient. Heck, half the time, they don't have much respect for human life either. Our animal cruelty laws are woefully insufficient.

DChap

Site Supporter
I agree...it is just selfish, stupid people that would keep three servals in an apartment...what a shame :( Maybe if the people were taken out of their homes and put somewhere, the attitudes would change...this just makes me so furious!

Makes me so furious too. I live not far from Los Alamitos. These kind of unresponsible owners and ignorant media just makes uninformed people that more paranoid and judgemental :(

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think the Servals consider this quite a disastrous event - being ripped from the only home and human they have ever known, being tossed into a sanctuary where they are treated as wild (e.g., dangerous) animals. I have no doubt they will be marred for life. I only hope that they are allowed to be kept together so that they have each other for comfort during this tumultuous time :-(

admin

Paige
Staff member
And this is exactly what I mentioned above as to what happens when selfish people buy a cat, dog or exotic animal that is illegal in their state, county, city...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
:-(

Servals aren't "big cats"... and how is this anywhere near Zanesville when those were lions, tigers and bears not little Serval cats? Servals are already not allowed in CA so why push more legislation, that's not going to change some idiot deciding to house exotic cats in an apartment!