Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

6 month old f5 with diarrhea

Karens

Savannah Child
My female girl has had diarrhea for several days. She is on taste of wild canned and dry which is grain free. She won't
Touch pumpkin and I feel terrible because I have her locked in my spare bedroom until she is better.
Anybody have suggestions? Stool is clear of parasites

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
If you've taken her to the vet and PCR and other tests reveal nothing, try feeding her boiled chicken with some of the juice and white rice for a day or two. And consider that she may have developed an allergy to something in the Taste of the Wild. Limit her to canned rather than kibble and see if that helps.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Just an FYI, coccidia and Giardia are some species that are shed intermittently, if all you has is one sample done via fecal in house float, those can be missed.

Karens

Savannah Child
She has always been inside and came from a decent breeder who also keeps them all inside. She was on the
Taste of wild dry when I got her and friskiies canned. Wanted to switch to grain free so she is on taste of wild
Both.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Mine are inside and my breeders are respectable and clean too, I have had kittens come to me with Giardia, crypto, one of mine had coccidiosis when I shipped it to the breeder and I have never tested positive for it. I'm not saying your baby has anything, but just because they are inside doesn't mean they are free of everything. We as humans can bring anything in on our clothes and shoes. Tap water can have Giardia in it too.

I do have some questions. What are poops like? Did it just happen when you started canned? How long have you had her? It could also be bacterial related. I do fecal pcr tests any time I have a baby with diarrhea.

Lesley

Site Supporter
I agree. My breeder is excellent. Small closed cattery. Our boy had coccidia. He had several in house floats come back clean. Then, when his diarrhea started getting out of control I stuck a pill bottle under his but in litter box and caught enough to fill the bottle. Yes it was disgusting, but it did the trick. Vet looked at it an hour later and there were 2 oocytes. Only 2 even with a perfect sample. PCR test would be the best idea. Or you could try getting a really good sample. I understand sometimes vets will treat without proof of parasite if meds are safe. I am trying to switch my bow to raw. Right now he gets nature's variety limited ingredient rabbit kibble and primal freeze dried raw turkey formula. Only raw he will eat and he likes it. Its easy to feed as well. Everything is grain free. Keep us posted on your progress.

Karens

Savannah Child
figured it out i think! feeding her chicken
which she loves and switched canned to evo
but she just picks at it. tried the instinct raw bites
in chicken but she wont eat that. would love
to go raw but have to find something she will
eat. are all savannahs such picky eaters. her
stool has been good since the switch

kabuki

Savannah Super Cat
raw rabbit and bone by omas pride will constipate her immediately

Sent from my iPad

kabuki

Savannah Super Cat
feed raw only to savannah, mine loves it or at least grain free canned like wellness

Sent from my iPad