Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8 month old female still having accidents

Karens

Savannah Child
Cali was spayed almost a week ago. She is playing and eating normally. But...peeing on furniture and her bed. I have 2 litter boxes cleaned every day. She has peed on her bed, my dogs bed and my husbands nice leather chair. Help! I don't trust her in the house afraid she is going to pee on everything and ruin it. I keep her in a spare bedroom when I can't watch her. And she does use both litter boxes too

Karens

Savannah Child
Yes the breeder just told me she could still have hormones from being
In heat. Says they can stay for a couple weeks after the spay

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I am curious what some of the pros here have to offer. Nyah was spayed before she went into heat, so I haven't had to deal with this issue. I can tell you from other types of experience, you have to totally get rid of the smell otherwise it becomes a new potty spot. Over the counter cleaners don't work, you need to use an enzyme cleaner like anti icky poo. For carpets, you may need to inject it with the cleaner (use a turkey injector) so the cleaner gets into the pad and on the subfloor. You may end up having to replace the cat and dog beds, and I really hope you can clean the leather chair! Once you have cleaned and or replaced items, you may need to start fresh with keeping your kitty confined with her litter box, and then slowly allowing her out with multiple litter boxes available until she proves reliable.

I have personally had great luck with Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. It has the cat attractant in it, but also has a smaller size to the litter pieces. I have tried to change to one of their regular style litters and my cats pick up their paws like they stepped in something yucky. I dont want to take the chance of them not using their box, so i just keep with the Cat Attract for all three of their tote sized litter boxes. It is expensive, but so is replacing leather chairs!

Last edited:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Karens, your breeder was correct... your young female will still have hormones in her system, especially only a week post-spay. And as Becki has said, you really need to make sure you have properly removed all the urine to ensure your cat doesn't continue to mark in those places. Anti Icky Poo is a good enzyme cleaner, as is the Unique Distributors Odor Eliminator...both are sourced online not in pet stores.

You may find that if you are keeping her to one room all the time, that when you let her out she may feel the need to mark the dog's bed etc. It's her way of saying she is there and she owns the place. You can try the Sentry Pet Calming Collar to see if that helps her too... http://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Calming-Collar-Cats-3-Pack/dp/B0083F8XVM but you can usually find them at pet stores like Petsmart and Petco also.

I'd give her time to get past the hormones driving her behavior and just be vigilant with cleaning for now...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
@Karens was your girl peeing inappropriately before she was spayed? If not, I would be less inclined to think this is hormones and more inclined to worry about a UTI. Have you spoken to her vet about this? If the behavior doesn't resolve I would consider running a urinalysis to rule out an infection.

In the meantime, I agree with everyone's advice about thoroughly cleaning everything. Also, you might want to keep her in an even smaller room such as a bathroom as she will be less inclined to urinate where she also eats and sleeps, plus usually easier to clean up unless you have carpeting in the bathroom.

I also agree that Cat Attract is an amazing product and I have had close to 100% success with less than perfect pottyers. I would definitely give it a try and see if it doesn't make a difference.

frances

Savannah Super Cat
I have 2 cats a male bengal 10 minths old and a female savannah 9 months old, they were spayed and neutered when they were 3 months old by the breeder's vet.
The girl is now on heat! Calling the boy and peeing outside her litter box.
How can it be possible? It has been 3 weeks now ,mild signs at the beginning, getting worse now....

admin

Paige
Staff member
You really need to call your vet... It is possible that some ovarian tissue was left when she was spayed... It does happen unfortunately

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, this can happen and should be checked out before you work on behavioral causes... you can do a blood test for hormones which will tell you if there is any remaining ovarian tissue...