Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

A tale of the tails

Remi's Mommy

Site Supporter
I was wondering what savanna tail is the correct tail. I have noticed on a lot of pictures of even early generation savannas that the tails seem to be long and spindly. Remi is f3 and her tail is only 8 inches and thick. Is this strange??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Popp

Site Supporter
You have a collection of different pieces breeding a serval and domestic cat, what you end up with a genetic salad. Servals have thick short tails, a Savannah's tail should follow suit. The reality though is the tail isn't going to be the most important characteristic that breeders seek out, but a short fat tail is certainly a bonus.

Remi's Mommy

Site Supporter
Thanks everybody for clearing that issue up, I guess she is right in the ball park as far as tails go. Now my sister says she is deformed because her rear legs are so big compared to her front. I can’t win against her Persian freak.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Thanks everybody for clearing that issue up, I guess she is right in the ball park as far as tails go. Now my sister says she is deformed because her rear legs are so big compared to her front. I can’t win against her Persian freak.

Yup, that’s part of the standard as well. (I put the link in my previous comment)

Legs:Longer than average, well muscled, without appearing heavy or overly delicate. The back legs are slightly longer than the front legs.