Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Acepromazine

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
And one its potential side effects is aggression in cats. Are you having problems with scratching furniture, humans, long nails ticking on the floor -- stuff for which scratching posts are insufficient?

L

Louie'sDad

There is no scratching problem whatsoever, Even when "play fighting" he never scratches me. I am concerned about what happens if/when the claws go unclipped. Do they cause problems? Othewise i don't need to clip them at all.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
You don't need to clip them until/unless there's a problem. Sometimes they can get caught in fabric. So far my 3 have done a great job of keeping their nails groomed. They're long and look like they could decapitate a medium-sized mammal, or a human who is slow getting their meals ready, with one swipe but don't cause the cats any issue.

L

Louie'sDad

You don't need to clip them until/unless there's a problem. Sometimes they can get caught in fabric. So far my 3 have done a great job of keeping their nails groomed. They're long and look like they could decapitate a medium-sized mammal, or a human who is slow getting their meals ready, with one swipe but don't cause the cats any issue.
I am only concerned about any problems that unclipped claws will cause Louie. He seems happier with full claws, and doesn't pluck at them as he does after they are trimmed.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am only concerned about any problems that unclipped claws will cause Louie. He seems happier with full claws, and doesn't pluck at them as he does after they are trimmed.
I would not tranquilize a cat to trim its claws...all of mine have their claw trimmed every week or so...I would trim them if they are too long as they could potentially cause Louie some pain...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I am concerned about what happens if/when the claws go unclipped. Do they cause problems? Othewise i don't need to clip them at all.
The only issue I have read/heard about with unclipped claws is with some polydactyl cats...I guess the claws/toes can be crowded and so if the claws get long they can curl and have issues?

With a normal cat with scratchers etc, I think they get long and sharp but rarely overgrown such that they cause problems. I know that a cat that I rehomed only has her claws clipped maybe yearly with her vet checkup... she is a nightmare to clip claws even when there are two humans available and her dad is single so it just doesn't get done. I know that when we visit, and she insists on giving my hair a good grooming it does hurt when she grabs hold of my scalp with a paw but I think that is the worst of it...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would not use any sedative without talking to your vet first, and I think there are safer agents than ace available. Having said that, if the nails are not a problem I would not worry about trimming them. I have several cats whose nails I never trim. In fact, the only nails I trim on a regular basis are on those cats who insist on kneading me because that is the only time they 'use' them on me...

admin

Paige
Staff member
I guess it depends on how active the cat is...I have had issues with very long nails, which is why I trim all of mine now...