Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding a second cat

cmantis

Savannah Super Cat
I am contemplating the idea of adding a second cat. Besides the obvious of double the care, food, litter cleaning etc what are the pros and cons? Neo and I are very bonded and I am thinking while he would appreciate the company sometimes that it might mean his attention is focused elsewhere. I like that he is like my best friend but also want what is best for him. Also if I did decide to another down the road what age and gender would be best, he is three years young.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Kilifi has become MORE of a love bug with me since Regie came to live here. He too is a big love bug. THe bad side...they are into more trouble together. But she is a lot happier now. You will not lose Neo's love and friendship. It may just get more intense.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I think cats often appreciate a friend and it is hard to say whether a male of female would be best...it all depends on the cat...and as long as you are bonded to Neo, a new cat should not be able to break that bond...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I am contemplating the idea of adding a second cat. Besides the obvious of double the care, food, litter cleaning etc what are the pros and cons? Neo and I are very bonded and I am thinking while he would appreciate the company sometimes that it might mean his attention is focused elsewhere. I like that he is like my best friend but also want what is best for him. Also if I did decide to another down the road what age and gender would be best, he is three years young.
I think the pro is companionship for Neo when you are not around. The con may be that Neo might not wish for a feline companion, it's hard to know!

Given you have a neutered male, you could easily decide on either male or female so it would be simply finding the one that appealed most to you :)