Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Advice needed about ringworm....

IMingenius

Savannah Super Cat
Hello, I'm new to this site and also a new kitten owner. We've never had one before and recently adopted a kitten from the Humane Society. We made an appointment for our Vet to check him over and found out he has ringworm. Poor little guy. I have so many questions and everything I read on the internet make it sound like a plague and burning or bleaching everything on top of keeping the kitten completely isolated is the only thing we can do to prevent our other animals (tow dogs) from getting it. We've been treating him for 5 days now with the cream our vet gave us, but how long must he stay isolated? How likely is it that the dogs will get it? I'm not worried about us getting it, but one of our dogs is a show dog that we are fostering. We bought a black light and his spots still glow green, but I heard the spots arent contagious, only the spores...but I dont know what they look like under a black light. He had a very few white specks on his fur that show with the light, but I'm not sure. We vacuum daily and clean our surfaces with bleach, we've also been sprinkling Tinactin powder on our carpets and rubbing some on the dogs. We've given all of them bathes in anti-fungal shampoo, but is this enough to help keep the chances down of them contracting ringworm if we let the kitten out? It's breaking our hearts to keep him alone in a room. Please help.

IMingenius

Savannah Super Cat
My only comment to that thread is, "wow." Although it seemed rough, his attitude and humor about the situation is admirable. I guess I seem pretty selfish to risk my other pets contracting the ringworm, but what is more heart breaking than a sad kitten? :) I've researched a lot of treatments on the internet and have seen good reviews about a product called "Colloidal Silver"..have you heard anything about it? Or maybe a UV light? I heard it killed the fungus? I suppose the best I can do is treat the ringworm as the vet recommended and make sure I spend time with him for a few hours a day. We have a really small apartment and his "safe room" is our bedroom, since I read that the humidity in the bathroom can exacerbate the spread of ringworm, so I'm on the couch with the dogs, but my fiancee still sleeps in the bedroom with him. Yikes. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since we brought him home and a week since we saw the vet and no sign of ringworm for any of us. So far so good. :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm a fan of doing EVERYTHING to make sure you get rid of the ringworm... Anti fungal oral meds (terbinafine, which is better tolerated than a lot of the meds plus can be ordered as human med from something like Walgreens cheaply).. Anti fungal shampoo like Malaseb (be sure to leave lather on the 10 minutes it needs) and the malaseb spray for the alternate days... And then cleaning the home daily. Swifter cloths on surfaces are great for picking up spores.

Ultimately it is a self-limiting infection, just with a show dog in the home you want to be careful...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You need to worry about getting it yourself because if you get it, you can pass it on to the dogs. The incubation period for ringworm can be up to three weeks, so just because you haven't spotted anything on yourself yet doesn't mean you won't get it. The kitten will remain infected until the spots go away and the hair starts growing back. If your fiance is sleeping in the bedroom, unless he is scrubbing himself in the shower or spraying himself down with Health Guard before coming out of the room, he is probably spreading the spores to the rest of the house.

The bottom line with ringworm - it is not a dangerous infection, but it is definitely a pain in the tuchus!!!

IMingenius

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you, everyone, for responding! :) What a great and caring community...I'm glad I found yall. Jon does spray himself down when he comes out of the room, he also removes his clothing and I leave a towel outside the door so he can go immediately into the shower. There is so much conflicting information out there, and our vet told us that Jinx didn't have to be confined because adult dogs seldom catch it from cats. But we chose to do so because there was even a slim chance they would get it and then we'd have to deal with cross contaminating over and over again. Brigette, do you know where I can purchase Malaseb? The vet at Purdue didnt even mention dipping him. We have been bathing the other animals with GNC Anti-Funcal Shampoo and Conditioner twice weekly and sprinkling them with Tinactin powder. Jon and I have been washing with Selson Blue and using the Tinactin powder as well. Paige, thank you for the suggestion to use the fogger! :) I ordered it today. Do I do this daily? Weekly? Patti, you're right. We do need to worry about getting it...I guess what I meant to say is that if we got it, we would deal with it. It seems more containable on humans than animals and easier to get rid of. But, indeed, there's a chance we are remiss in catching it on ourselves immediately, so we cant be irresponsible at our dogs expense. Looking back on it, I sound immature and whiny because I dont want Jinx to be lonely or to not feel well and not be able to be with the family 24/7. Like I said, a kitten has never owned us (ha ha) before and I was afraid of Jinx being sad or lonely or scared and not being there to comfort him. Thank you again, everyone, for taking the time to help me along with this. I really appreciate any advice, direction, constructive criticism, kind words, whatever. :)

IMingenius

Savannah Super Cat
Also, the vet did not suggest we bring Jinx back for a follow up. All we were told was to put the cream on twice a day for two weeks and that was it. Perhaps I need to take him to a different vet?

IMingenius

Savannah Super Cat
Okay...I just called and spoke to the vet to ask about him seeing Jinx again in a few weeks to determine if Jinx's ringworm was gone, or getting better and he said to put clear nail polish on anything that glows green under the black light....I'm concerned about this having put nail polish on my own nails when I have torn cuticles and it BURNS. Was this good advice?

admin

Paige
Staff member
You need a new vet...that is ridiculous...you ready only need the fogger now and then after jinx is clear as ringworm spores can live a long time. You can order malaseb online...

Jinx should be checked again with another culture in about 6 weeks...