Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Advice on introducing new Savannah

Vito

Site Supporter
Hi Guys
As most of you have seen, we have adopted an ex stud cat, with the hope of him settling down as a pet and companion for Vito.
He is 14 months old and absolutely adorable with us. He has been in quarantine for coming up 1 week now and is being the model inmate :)
We have been allowing him to explore the rest of the house once a day when the other cats are all sleeping in another room. This so far has gone well, I also rotate the toys to get them all used to New scent. Franco seems quite happy and is taking it all in his stride, he's also bonding with me already, giving love bites, licking and head bunting me, and is always super excited when I go in to see him.
The other cats are aware that he is here and no-one is stressing or concerned & no-one has laid eyes on him yet.
Franco is to have his neutering operation on Monday morning and obviously will return to quarantine room when we bring him home. I'm aware that it will take some time for his hormones to settle down, whereupon we shall start the introductions, supervised and through glass doors to begin with.
I'm aware it can be a rocky road to rehabilitate an ex breeder, but I'm remaining optomistic .
I was wondering if any of you wonderful people can offer any advice, tips , methods etc that may prove useful. I really want this to work out and I've plenty time to devote.
One question I have is, How long after neutering Franco do you think I can start with the process of introductions ? All help would be much appreciated.
Have managed to take a few new pics of him below. IMG_0756.jpg IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0765.jpg

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would recommend waiting at least a couple of weeks after an neutering to make sure the hormones are all cleared out of Franco before you start introducing him to the other cats. You might want to switch out bedding as well to help share the scents between cars.

Introducing them through a glass barrier is a good way to start. You can also put Franco in a crate while the others are allowed to come up and get close to him that way. Once they seem to accept each other you can play with them side-by-side using a separate wand toy for each of them to play with. I think as time goes by you will be able to see how well they are adjusting to each other, and you will be able to judge how soon they will be able to be left unsupervised with each other.

Vito

Site Supporter
I would recommend waiting at least a couple of weeks after an neutering to make sure the hormones are all cleared out of Franco before you start introducing him to the other cats. You might want to switch out bedding as well to help share the scents between cars.

Introducing them through a glass barrier is a good way to start. You can also put Franco in a crate while the others are allowed to come up and get close to him that way. Once they seem to accept each other you can play with them side-by-side using a separate wand toy for each of them to play with. I think as time goes by you will be able to see how well they are adjusting to each other, and you will be able to judge how soon they will be able to be left unsupervised with each other.
Hi Patti, thank you for your advice, I shall start swapping the bedding as of tomorrow, I like the crate idea and they both love the wand toys so will try that when the time comes. Franco appears to be re-visiting his kitten stage, he is so acting like a big soft baby as each day goes on, there's definitely a sparkle in his eyes the past couple of days. Bit nervous about his op on Monday, I know it's routine but you still fret don't you.
Got a great vet who's fab with hybrids and who won't be using ketamine .

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It's hard not to worry, even over the simplest of procedures, but I'm sure everything will go smoothly and he won't even notice anything has happened once he's back home. Keep us posted!

Vito

Site Supporter
It's hard not to worry, even over the simplest of procedures, but I'm sure everything will go smoothly and he won't even notice anything has happened once he's back home. Keep us posted!
I certainly will Patti, thanks :)

Vito

Site Supporter
Well today was the day Franco went to hospital for his castration. All went really well despite me fretting. Was up and about shortly afterwards and was tucking into his meal with some gusto. He's currently playing around in his quarantine quarters & seems non the worse for wear. Let's hope those hormones drop in next few weeks so we can finally start the introduction to Vito & Co. IMG_0766.jpg