Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Advice on purchasing a Savannah!

finn

Savannah Super Cat
Hey there,

I am actually going to see a breeder tomorrow to look at a F5 Savannah cat posted on their website. I'm thinking I will end up putting a deposit for the cat and picking it up about a week later if I like her. Since this will be my first Savannah I was wondering if you guys could advise me on what questions to ask the breeder / things I should be looking out for when I visit?

The kitten I would like to see is 15 weeks and I know I will ask questions about the current / suggested diet for the kitten and I am hoping to see the parents as well...

Any suggestions on what to ask & look out for or even just some tips for my (hopefully) new kitten would be absolutely lovely!

Thanks so much

Is the kitten TICA registered? What is the kitten- A/B/C/SBT? How was the kitten raised? What type of vet care did it receive before now? What type of cat food is it on? What type of kitty litter? How is the personality of the parents? Can I meet the parents? If not- can I see pictures of the parents?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
http://www.kirembosavannahs.com/faq/KittenBuyersChecklist.pdf

http://www.kirembosavannahs.com/faq/Selecting-Kitten-2011.pdf

These articles might be helpful... the one thing I would say is this: do NOT get sucked into the mentality of feeling like you HAVE to buy that kitten. I talk to so many people afterward who basically feel like they "rescued" a kitten because they felt obliged to buy it rather than leave at the breeder due to the conditions they see. They feel like they are doing the right thing, but in reality they are perpetuating that situation by funding it. I have no idea what breeder you are visiting, btw, and so this is NOT a comment on the kitten you are considering. This is just a general thought on the process of going to view a kitten for potential purchase.

Good luck and I hope the kitten is everything you want!

S

shelby

Ask if the kitten has had vaccines(which ones), at what age and also ask if the kitten has been examined by a vet and ask to see the report on any health problems the kitten has had and talk to the vet. Pay attention to how the baby acts around you and also the family he/.....or she lives with. I think all kittens should have a complete physical before leaving for its new home.

John Popp

Site Supporter
The best advice I can offer is make your check list, use some of the excellent advice offered by others above and firmly have in your mind that you are going to walk away without making a final decision. Just give yourself that 24 hour time period to make your decision unabated by having a certainly enchanting kitten in your lap or at your feet.

If you walk through the doors to meet a kitten thinking you'll make the decision when you've seen them, you are definitely toast and will be walking out the door with either a kitten or a signed contract. Savannah kittens have extraordinary powers at this young age and a definitive cuteness that hides their intent. They will eat your food, destroy your possessions, perhaps on occasion even soil something and these activities can go on for 20 years or more. So be strong, give yourself the opportunity to sleep on the decision and find the right kitten for you.

Doesn't change the aftermath of owning one, just keeps you at arms length from fluffy kitten mind control when you are making a long term commitment.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
The best advice I can offer is make your check list, use some of the excellent advice offered by others above and firmly have in your mind that you are going to walk away without making a final decision. Just give yourself that 24 hour time period to make your decision unabated by having a certainly enchanting kitten in your lap or at your feet.

If you walk through the doors to meet a kitten thinking you'll make the decision when you've seen them, you are definitely toast and will be walking out the door with either a kitten or a signed contract. Savannah kittens have extraordinary powers at this young age and a definitive cuteness that hides their intent. They will eat your food, destroy your possessions, perhaps on occasion even soil something and these activities can go on for 20 years or more. So be strong, give yourself the opportunity to sleep on the decision and find the right kitten for you.

Doesn't change the aftermath of owning one, just keeps you at arms length from fluffy kitten mind control when you are making a long term commitment.
Now JP! You sound bitter! Don't scare a new member! Just because you fell for the fluffy kitten routine like MOST of us, and LIKED it, doesn't mean the SV kittens don't know what's best for their new uh...caretakers?...owners?? (nah).. trainees, yeah that's it.;)
Unlike some folks around here, I admit to falling for this ruse, and am happy and blessed by it. It lead to two more SV's, that's how bad it was!!

S

shelby

One more thing I MIGHT ADD.If there is any sign of watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing..there might be a real concern as to what is causing this.I will say...sometimes there can be a sneeze that is just that, but on the other hand it can be something that will cause problems on down the road. Just pay close attention to signs the kitten may be under the weather.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Not really any complaints here, and I certainly did my homework. I don't think the 24 hour rule would have changed the outcome, although I didn't make any provisions for it and I did go away for a bit to get my head on straight before committing. I'm sure the kitty hypnosis hadn't fully subsided, and the ride home totally endeared the little guy to me for a lifetime.

John Popp

Site Supporter
One more thing I MIGHT ADD.If there is any sign of watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing..there might be a real concern as to what is causing this.
Totally agreed and no reputable breeder should ever send you off with a kitten in less than 100% health. You should never need to start your relationship with a new pet nursing them back to health, just the same as you wouldn't let changing a flat tire be the first thing you did with a new car.