Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Jensen's

Savannah Super Cat
When is it age appropriate to add raw into our 9 week old F1? And what should I start with? He had holistically tuna today. Is that ok? Had no interest in the evo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Stacie, I'd keep him on the same diet he ate at the breeders' for a few weeks at least. That said, I don't think it would hurt to try a TINY bit of meat....a small bite of cooked, cooled plain chicken breast...and see how he likes it. Keeping the food the same when a new kitten arrives to his new home is every bit as important as keeping them in "quarantine" (separated from your other kitties for several weeks so he can properly bond to you, and not to them). Changing or adding a new food right now will almost guarantee diarrhea which can be life threatening in a kitten. When he is acclimated to you, your house and the other cats after quarantine, then you can gradually and slowly change over to a new diet, including raw.

The Jensen's

Savannah Super Cat
Perfect. That is how we will keep it. No wanting to rock boats. If he doesn't eat the evo they gave, and maybe he will later, but if he doesn't I just leave it out and not try another wet?

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Lakota may not eat much the first few days he is home. He just arrived yesterday, and everything is all very new to him. If he is eating any of the food he is used to and drinking water, then I would not rock the boat :) Keep an eye on his poops to check they are not soft or runny and that he is peeing.

Yes, don't try a different wet food just yet. He's pretty young...9 weeks, correct?

The Jensen's

Savannah Super Cat
Yes. 9 weeks. We will keep it strictly his kibble and evo. My other two didn't take to the evo much either. But he is definitely loving the kibble no problem. Peeing well. No poops yet.