Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Akila not gaining weight

Akila

Site Supporter
Hi All,

Akila is 5 1/2 months old and weighs only 3.8 lbs. She was eating a raw diet and then won't eat it any more. I am feeding her Royal Canin kitten food, and she eats 3 cans of it a day. She will not eat anything that has a pate' texture nor will she eat any kind of kibble. I have tried everything.....different brands, putting broth on it, mixing it with her canned food. Nothing.

I have had her at the vet several times to be weighed and they tell me she is not emaciated :(:( .

About a month ago something happened to her eye. One minute she was fine and the next minute she wasn't? I took her to the hospital and the optometrist and they said it could have been trauma to the eye. The only thing that happened that day is she feel off the chair. They said it was uveitis, gave me some eye drops and I have to have her rechecked next week.

I am very frustrated and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
The only thing I can think for the eating is get her checked for parasites, if you haven't already. Both of my boys had diminished appetites when they had worms. They normally eat like small horses.

I hope her eye feels better soon!

Akila

Site Supporter
Thank you for the reply. She has been tested for parasites and it came back negative. She shakes her head a lot despite the fact that her ears are clean. I told the vet this and she said if I see any discharge to let her know:(.

I gave her Revolution on Aug 9th and shortly after that is when the head shaking started. I would think that it is out of her system by now.

Very upsetting!!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Has she had any loose stools? Has a coronavirus titer been run? I only ask because uveitis can be associated with dry FIP...which I sincerely hope it is not. The fussiness with eating just reminds me a kitten we had in rescue with uveitis who did pass from dry FIP.

I have had some fussy cats though and the lack of eating can be so difficult? Is she an only pet? I had a puppy years and years ago that was the fussiest eater and I basically had to offer him everything on my hand to eat it...but he went to live with my parents and they had other dogs... once he saw them chowing down he magically discovered an appetite and became a bit of a piglet! Peer group pressure maybe?

Most of my cats refuse the pate style of canned food, so I feel your pain. It does limit the choices... mine currently like Wellness morsels in chicken but they've also loved Earthborn Holistics chicken catchiatori too. Maybe if your kitten is similar, she might like one of those? Not wanting kibble is just fine, canned food is better for her anyway!

I understand your concerns, we tend to want kittens to be ~a pound for every month of age so she's a little behind...but she just might be on the petite side? Females aren't going to grow as large as their male counterparts... and I do know of adult female later generation Savannahs that only reached 6-7 pounds. Maybe that is just going to be her.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Akila sounds like a picky eater but how is her appetite when you give her something she likes? In spite of her low weight has she been gaining weight over time? Three cans of RC Kitten a day seems like a fairly good portion for a 4lb kitten but I would definitely offer her more if she will eat more. I agree with Brigitte in that although her weight sounds concerning but if she is otherwise acting normally she may just be one of those special petite little Savannah girls.

Snakebike

Savannah Super Cat
I would bring in another very fresh sample and have them retest for parasites. Make sure the vet does both a float and a smear. As far as food goes, I have had great luck with Fussie Cat with my little Angel :). The chicken and egg seems to be a big hit. Chewy and Amazon has it. My other cats like it also and it is a bit pricey but pretty healthy.

Akila

Site Supporter
What is dry FIP Brigitte? She only has had a couple of loose stools mostly because I am trying different foods little by little. She has been tested for feline leukemia and HIV, both were negative. I have a 4 year old Egyptian Mau so she is not alone.

I am praying that she is only a petite girl.

I went to Pet Smart to get food and I talked to the vet there and explained to her what was going on and when I mentioned Akila’s eye she said I should talk to her vet about Toxoplasmosis. Does anyone think that could be the problem? I am going to have her tested for it anyway.

Also I feel like I am feeding her constantly. I have gone through ALOT of food just making sure it is always there when she wants it.

I am so stressed out over this.

Akila

Site Supporter
I just read about FIP.....I know that they tested her platelet count and her white blood cell count. I would hope that the optomoligist would consider this. Akila goes back to the eye doctor on the 20 th for a recheck. I will definitely be asking about FIP.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
What is dry FIP Brigitte? She only has had a couple of loose stools mostly because I am trying different foods little by little. She has been tested for feline leukemia and HIV, both were negative. I have a 4 year old Egyptian Mau so she is not alone.

I am praying that she is only a petite girl.

I went to Pet Smart to get food and I talked to the vet there and explained to her what was going on and when I mentioned Akila’s eye she said I should talk to her vet about Toxoplasmosis. Does anyone think that could be the problem? I am going to have her tested for it anyway.

Also I feel like I am feeding her constantly. I have gone through ALOT of food just making sure it is always there when she wants it.

I am so stressed out over this.
Sometimes also, vets can avoid suggesting too much testing as owners can freak out over the cost of it... some have over time just stopped suggesting all that they might do. I like my vet because they will give you a range of approaches to see what you are most comfortable with.
The feline diarrhea PCR panel includes toxoplasmosis... so although I've not heard of a cat with this in the longest time and even my OB/GYN with my recent pregnancies said she wasn't at all concerned about me having cats because it was so rare nowadays... doesn't mean that it can't happen. It would be worth it to me to just test and know.

When you say you are always feeding Akila, is she eating it all or just that you are offering it all the time and dumping a lot of uneaten food throughout the day?

Akila

Site Supporter
Akila does not eat all the food at one time , so I leave it out for a couple of hours.I then dump it and when she wants to eat again I refill her bowl. This is the routine through out the day.