Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Allergic to fish

Hello,
I am in desperate need of help to find a new food for my Leo (F2 Savannah kitten) as well as my other boys. Everyone was eating royal canin hydrolized protein food. One of my other cats was allergic to science diet sensitive skin and stomach so I had to feed them the royal canin. After 2 years of that very expensive food I thought I’d give a new food a try bc his allergies had not acted up in that 2 years. So about 2 months ago I switched them to blue buffalo indoor, grain free,fish flavored food. They all LOVE the food but Leo is severely allergic to it. He is scratching and itching his head and neck. I feed them dry and wet food. My other cat is allergic to chicken so chicken is out as well as fish. No one likes raw chicken. Any suggestions on a new food? My vet was no help as she said “well I only recommend science diet or royal canin” I need to go to the store or order new food ASAP but I have no idea where to even begin... limited ingredient food, grain free, duck vs. venison, etc.
There are so many foods out there I am overwhelmed on picking a new food. Thank you!!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Its difficult because every cat likes something different....can you try ziwipeak rabbit? Or ground rabbit? What coast on you on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Sorry your fur-babies are having food allergy woes. Have you considered a raw diet? I work in a specialty pet food store, and even our high-end kibble products all have either chicken, or some form of fish/fish oil. If you didn't want to deal with raw meat I'd recommend trying Stella and Chewys freeze-dried raw nuggets that you can rehydrate and many of those are single protein formulas. NW Naturals is another good one - both frozen and freeze-dried, but I'm not sure about availability on the east coast for that one.

I’m in Arizona. I did a quick google search of ziwipeak.... is it just wet food and freeze dried kibble ? It says freeze dried cat food..heard of that before but I am not familiar with it nor do I know anyone who has fed that kind of food before. Thank you

admin

Paige
Staff member
I’m in Arizona. I did a quick google search of ziwipeak.... is it just wet food and freeze dried kibble ? It says freeze dried cat food..heard of that before but I am not familiar with it nor do I know anyone who has fed that kind of food before. Thank you
I use the canned...it's basically a raw food diet in a can. You can order it from chewy.com - it is expensive though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
If you're set on feeding kibble, the Kiwi Peak lamb one looked pretty good - only one non-fish seafood ingredient. No chicken, and be careful there because lots of brands will use chicken fat for flavor.

Freeze dried food seems intimidating, I know, just think of it as really, really good kibble that you hydrate (or not) before feeding.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You can find foods with different protein bases, just be sure to read all the ingredients. I have used Stella and Chewy's as well and like the duck, duck, goose. Instinct makes a rabbit based cat food as well. There are several out there, you just need to research them.