Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Amara's weight is down a little bit.

David Z

Site Supporter
So I'm probally worrying and it will turn out to be nothing but...
Amara was staying right around 12lbs 14oz and 13 lbs, i weigh her about every 2 weeks yesterday I weighed her she was 12lbs 8oz, today she was 12lbs 7.5 is. So she has lost a little bit of weight. Plan on calling vet first thing Monday am. Stools have been normal she's also still very active. She did slow down a little bit on her eating a month and half ago, figured she was just out of her growth spurt, other then not wanting food as often she still eats fine. Just seems odd and worries me that she lost a little bit of weight in a fairly short period of time.
It has been pretty warm here and her and Squeakerz do get to go out too their shaded enclosure in the evening for about a hour. Don't know if maybe the heat has caused it or not. They both get very angry and unruly if they don't get their outside time, there was about 3 weeks they didn't get to go out cause of the excessive heat and they weren't happy kids.

Anyways vet trip soon. Hoping I'm just worrying over nothing.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I hope everything checked out okay at the vet! Is she holding her weight now, or better yet, putting it back on?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think it good to have her checked out. I do agree with Paige that heat can mean a cat may not eat as much so a slight weight loss might not be too significant if you do live somewhere it is really hot (I live in foggy San Francisco so we don't ever really have that issue), but I like to tend to the paranoid side and see a vet checkup fee as the cost of my peace of mind!

Let us know how it goes!

David Z

Site Supporter
Her weights been steady at 12lbs 7.5 oz since Friday, her appointment for the the vet is tomorrow. Her vet was out of office yesterday and today. Could of seen the other vet in the office, but she never left me with a good impression with me. Rather see the one we usually see.

Here in phx az so heat is well 5 degrees hotter then hell most days lol.
Will let you all know what vet says tomorrow.

David Z

Site Supporter
Amara got a clean bill of health. Doc says unless she grows anymore she's happy with her weight, its her ideal body weight. I'm to continue keep track of her weight as I have been. The little weight she lost might of been cause its towards the end of summer, but since its been the same since Friday she's not worried. She goes back in November for yearly blood work and shots.

She did have a couple sore spots on her back and got a nice back massage, guessing that happened from jumping off the fridge.

Amara was definitely not happy about the vet visit and is now pouting under the bed.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Glad you had her checked out and were reassured about her weight :)

The sore spots were tender when palpated? The vet was not concerned about that?